• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Helicoil to repair stripped muffler bolts

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
My engine sound changed while in flight. Landed to find the muffler loose and the bolt would not tighten. Removed the other bolt and the loose one had no threads.

Anyone made this repair??

You can do that. But since you are drilling and tapping anyways, why not just go up 1 size bolt. I have a tendency to torque my exhaust bolts too much, and I end up stripping the manifold. So, I just go up 1 size in metric. I have 1 engine here currently with 1/4-28 SAE bolts in it for the exhaust.

I have used the a helicoil on a stripped muffler bolt and had zero problems after. I recommend doing that if at all possible. I'm a mechanic so I like bolts to match up.

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
Kit arrived today. M5x 0.8

Hope the coil gets smaller when installed cause it is larger diameter than the muffler bolts.

siko_flyer

70cc twin V2
The kit should have come with a drill bit,tap,install tool and small punch. Drill and tap the hole,put red high strength loctite on coil,use the tool to screw the coil in,make sure you get the last coil below the first thread,use the punch to knock the tab out,and your all done.And yes,it will get smaller.

Komet163

50cc
Might want to get high temp locktite versus regular red locktite. I found it at O'Rielly auto. It is good to over 500 degrees.

Bill

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the information. The kit came with everything except the drill bit. I was going to use Red Loctite, so go get the high temp. Just want to get it right the first time around.