• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

harrier and rolling harriers and harrier landing

wedoitall

have been flying inverted harriers and regular and attempting to do rolling harriers on my TH edge as practice for my balsa planes. I was wondering what rates and expo are you guys usually using when flying harriers and rolling harrier.

also on your guys 3d planes do you usually land scale style or harrier land?

where i fly i have a 100x50 ft concrete pad that i usually use as a runway. on my trojan i could actually use a couple more feet, eventho i usually dont run off the end of the runway. so i though harrier landing in the grass may be better for me.

for you guys that do harrier land, whats your technique and at what rates/expo?

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Harrier rolls for me are always done on full rates. That's ~40 degrees ailerons, 45-65 elevator, 45-65 rudder. Expo is ~75-85% depending on plane and rates.

I used to do a lot of harrier landings but ever since I caught a counterbalance on my 60" EXP and ripped it off I've been doing standard landings. I still do them from time to time. If you are good at harriers, just guide it down to the ground near the edge of the runway. Keep the elevator in once the tail touches, and keep a little bit of throttle on. As the tail touches, the nose will come down. Once the mains touch or are about to touch, chop the throttle. If you chop the throttle too soon the plane will smack down pretty hard. If you don't chop it you may gain speed and take off again.

wedoitall

thanks Cody

your harrier rolls are outstanding. mine are well not outstanding, i can get about 4 rolls and then i lose it. but ive just started try to learn them and have only tried them on my foam planes. i say this will prolly be one of the hardest things to learn.

my 8yr girl like watching the videos of you fly'n the TH planes. i think its the rolls she likes best.

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Haha thanks!

If you are not making progress with your harrier rolls don't sweat it. You will learn them in plateaus...all of a sudden it will click, and you will be able to string together much more than 4.