• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Hangar 9 Toledo Special

rpstar

30cc
Ok, I know this is not a 3d plane but I'm just so enamored with this plane so far and it's reported to be a super sweet sport flyer capable of the great aerobatics which will without a doubt make you a better 3d pilot. Maybe djmoose will come in here and back me up on this and I know he is a fan of this plane. I don't feel it's gotten the attention it deserves.

So far the quality of the kit is excellent. I hesitate to call this a build log as it's really a simple assembly. The plane comes with all hinges and control horns installed. Part are bagged and labeled according to function (ie: elevator, landing gear, etc..). This is probably standard for Hangar 9 but I've not seen it with any of the 3d manufacturers planes so far and it's a nice touch for the hardware challenged like myself.

Pics so far:

Really liked the wheel hardware. Sturdy and of great quality. Assembly was a snap:

IMG_20121031_213145.jpg

Horizontal and vertical stabilizers installed simply by sliding threaded rods attached to the vertical stab through the horizontal stab and through the tail and affixing with lock nuts and washers:

IMG_20121031_213118.jpg

Plane so far:

IMG_20121031_213215.jpg

High voltage digital JR servos I'll be using (no BEC baby!).

IMG_20121031_213257.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Looks good - I'll be interested to watch...always like to watch a build, regardless of the plane, but I think this plane actually looks pretty cool.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Yes, this plane is awesome. It's a perfect trainer that doesn't look like a trainer.

I'm using a power 46 on 4S 5000 and I get about 9 minutes easy. (13x6.5 xoar I believe) However, the power 46 isn't that great so if you want unlimited veritical, get something more powerfull.

rpstar

30cc
Ooh, wish I'd know that about the 46. Well, we'll see I guess. It's not a power-46 from E-flite I'm going to use but a Turnigy G46 easymatch which is suppossed to be a drop-in replacement and that's why I'm trying it (hated that I had to order from Hobbyking but did not want to mess with the mount right off). We'll see. Can always switch motors later if needed.

I would dispute this though as a trainer given it's symmetrical wing. Quite aerobatic and looks to be fully IMAC capable.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
An external BEC is highly recomended on anything above 4S.....when you're using a BEC.

(My statement above is referring to using a bult-in BEC as part of an ESC.)

Remember, BEC means Battery Elimination Circuit. In the case of rpstar's Toledo Special, he WILL BE using a (rx) battery...so he has no need for a circuit to eliminate it. He points out that he's using HV servos which is saying he'll be using a 2S lipo directly into the Rx and servos and thus not needing a BEC.

Good stuff! I try not to use BECs at all in any plane I care about. You can get VERY LIGHT Life (800-1100mah) packs from Value hobby CHEAP to run your radio system on your plane.

Why no BEC? I thought a BEC was standard equipment for anything with 4S or more?

Thanks,

Frank

rpstar

30cc
djmoose is sooo correct. :) BECs external are better than internal to ESC as it's a little less likely to fail but direct connection to the battery is even better!

rpstar

30cc
Example of the bagged and labeled parts. To me it's a nice touch.

IMG_20121101_193929.jpg

Today's progress.

IMG_20121101_212509.jpg

I wanted to run all the power through the receiver but was concerned about the very thin wires on the servo connectors. Luckily this is a 6-channel receiver on a 4 channel plane so I doubled up the "servo" power connections to the battery and ran power into the battery and aux ports of the receiver to effectively double the servo power connection thickness. Probably not needed but it was easy enough to do.

The instructions called for some placement of foam to wrap the battery and receiver in. No idea why. Must be related to if you do a nitro install for vibration and keeping the receiver connected but I've never had issues with this on an electric plane so I just mounted the receiver and battery to the tray with velcro. If anyone has a good reason for the foam install I'm open to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Example of the bagged and labeled parts. To me it's a nice touch.

Today's progress.

I wanted to run all the power through the receiver but was concerned about the very thin wires on the servo connectors. Luckily this is a 6-channel receiver on a 4 channel plane so I doubled up the "servo" power connections to the battery and ran power into the battery and aux ports of the receiver to effectively double the servo power connection thickness. Probably not needed but it was easy enough to do.

The instructions called for some placement of foam to wrap the battery and receiver in. No idea why. Must be related to if you do a nitro install for vibration and keeping the receiver connected but I've never had issues with this on an electric plane so I just mounted the receiver and battery to the tray with velcro. If anyone has a good reason for the foam install I'm open to it.

I think you are correct regarding the foam - it is a carry over to the nitro days. I've not used foam on any of my electric planes, and everything seems fine.