• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hangar 9 super cub

Flymedic

50cc
BarracudaHockey;19916 wrote: Most of us have replaced the rubber bands with either shock cord (preferred) or O-Rings

Where are you getting the shock cord and what size are you getting ?

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Flymedic;19918 wrote: Where are you getting the shock cord and what size are you getting ?

1/8" by 16" long A buddy put ends on for me so they hooked on the screws.

I had to tinker with the wraps a couple times but they have been perfect since I found the right tension.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
This is a great thread !! I can't wait to see the banner towing video !! I have the HH newer version T-craft I hope I could use, maybe with a smaller banner . I have towed a a glider up before with it but a banner would be spectacular !!

Thanks, John

Flymedic

50cc
BarracudaHockey said
Flymedic;19918 wrote: Where are you getting the shock cord and what size are you getting ?

1/8" by 16" long A buddy put ends on for me so they hooked on the screws.

I had to tinker with the wraps a couple times but they have been perfect since I found the right tension.
Sounds like that "buddy" could sure "hook" a guy up, pun intended !!!!!!!!!!

I had all the bands break on mine this weekend and I didn't have any of the stock bands, so it is back together with bands for trainer wings for now. I may have to look in to o-rings until I figure out your shock cord trick BH

ExtraNuts

70cc twin V2
I was wondering when someone was going to ask so here ya go.

The Release is a simple camover mounted to the hard points where the floats would mount I used a servo box I "STOLE" from JTEC last time i was there .( should have stolen more those things are great)

Now the tow rig. the "mast " was made from 1/2 in aluminum its what i had. its 3 ft tall and there is a weight on the bottom. you want it to balance about 1ft from the bottom -up . I simply drilled 2 holes and used cotter pins to hook the bridle .

To attach the flags the best way was to run a piece of 1/8 in dowl in the seam and simply use zip ties about every 5 inches down the seam. I did that on the leading and trailing edge of each flag to hold them all together .

The tow rope is mini blind cord its cheap and you wont break it . And 1/4 scale is about 80 ft thats what im use.

Take off . This is the fun part lay the banner out in front of the plane for me thats 80 feet i have someone hold the plane go to full power take a deep breath they let go :eek:, i roll about 30 ft climb steep and just before the banner lifts off i level off and change to a shallow climb to prevent a stall " My finger is on the release switch by the way "

FLYING . If you're not good at throttle management you will be :eek: . you must be smooth on the controls if you fly too fast the plane will be twitchy as there is some effect on cg if you fly too slow you stall quicker there is a happy speed. when turning add throttle to keep the banner "slinging " to the outside of your turn throttle back on the straights. With some practice it's a lot of fun maybe next weekend i can get better video the take offs are my favorite part.

Here is a full scale place for reference.
http://bannertowingequipment.com/

PS: note the original engine oil on the bottom of the plane give it that real bush plane patena :cool:

1877=939-Picture 474 (Large).jpg
1877=939-Picture 474 (Large).jpg
1877=940-Picture 475 (Large).jpg
1877=940-Picture 475 (Large).jpg
1877=941-Picture 476 (Large).jpg
1877=941-Picture 476 (Large).jpg
1877=942-Picture 477 (Large).jpg
1877=942-Picture 477 (Large).jpg
1877=943-Picture 478 (Large).jpg
1877=943-Picture 478 (Large).jpg
1877=944-Picture 479 (Large).jpg
1877=944-Picture 479 (Large).jpg
1877=945-Picture 480 (Large).jpg
1877=945-Picture 480 (Large).jpg
1877=938-Picture 481 (Large).jpg
1877=938-Picture 481 (Large).jpg
Your recover job looks great. You having the American Flag on the dirty shop floor really pisses me off though.

Dr Evil

30cc
Your recover job looks great. You having the American Flag on the dirty shop floor really pisses me off though.
The flag does get dirty remember nothing im doing is ment to be disrespectful but to show my pride. The flag gets laid out on the ground before take off and is dropped over the runway when towing is done. When the life of the flag is up it is given to the local boy scouts for proper disposal.
What up sets me is the flags I find to use are not made in America there from china....... we can't even make our flags anymore?????

ExtraNuts

70cc twin V2
The flag does get dirty remember nothing im doing is ment to be disrespectful but to show my pride. The flag gets laid out on the ground before take off and is dropped over the runway when towing is done. When the life of the flag is up it is given to the local boy scouts for proper disposal.
What up sets me is the flags I find to use are not made in America there from china....... we can't even make our flags anymore?????
I'm Sure you don't mean any disrespect. Perhaps a towel on the floor under the flag. Yah, made in china, not a surprise there. I seem to recall a large industrial area of china named USA. I think they named it that to try to fool us.