• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Graupner Radios

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I don't have one of their airplane radios, but I do have one of their 4 channel pistol grip radios......nice radio with loads of features and quality built.

Thanks much for the reply. Quality is very important to me. Some have complained that the new radios feel cheap (switches and sticks).

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
What say you folks about Graupner radios? Owners, ex owners, observations?
Please share your thoughts.
Ok, so here we go. I have run the Hitec Aurora and X9 for about six year now. Prior to that, strictly Futaba. As time went on, I wanted more features than the Hitec offered at the time. Bought two JR XG11's. First one, I just could not get the feel of. Back to Hitec. Bought a second JR XG11. Pure junk. Every time I shut the radio off, it would lose everything in the memory and I had to reprogram my models. Back to The Hitec X9. Again, I ventured out and purchased a Graupner MZ24. Pretty radio. Loaded with tons of bells and whistles that I figured were cool, but would never use. After a month, I couldn't stand it. Strange hits and weird issues that couldn't be explained. All setups on all planes remained the same except for the rx. Back to my Hitec X9 and have been at peace sense. My son also bought an MZ24. Originally, it seemed fine. Until two weekends ago. Took out a brand new never flown Pilot Yak, 87". After about one and half minutes, the plane completely was gone, lost, out of control. By sheer stupid luck, we were able to coax the girl home and get her on the ground with a perfect landing. We re-maidened it this past weekend with his original Hitec Aurora. Same exact setup other than radio. Not a single glitch. Flew three flawlessly perfect flights. Last weekend, He lost his big 43% PAU Edge. She's damaged pretty good. But completely fixable. Which he will do this winter. Why? The MZ24 was in that plane and it was like someone just simply reached over and turned the ignition off. All components from that plane will be going in his 129" TOC Yak. Radio? Yeah, not on your life. Back to Hitec for him as well.

In summation? Don't waste your time or your money. As far as I am concerned and my thoughts? I wouldn't give .10 cents for another Graupner. My son and I will stay with our Hitec radios. Later this year Hitec is releasing a brand new flagship with more features than anything on the market. We will be getting the new Hitec when it is released.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
BTW, do you and your son use Matchboxes to balance the servos?
No... we don't use matchboxes or any other component that is not necessary. Too many wink links in the chain. We program all our Hitec HV servos with the Hitec servo programmer before making any linkage connections. Then once that is done, final fine tuning done in the radio.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I need to add, His PAU Edge flew absolutely perfectly and flawlessly for 70 some flights on the Hitec radio. Never ever a single question mark in our minds as to dependability of the radio system. He just wanted the same as I. More features. Once the Graupner was installed, numerous unexplained issues. End result...well, we know where that went. Just really looking forward to the new Hitec.

Is there a hard release date for the new transmitter? I started with an Eclipse 7. Loved the radio. When I moved up to gassers I purchased a Futaba 9c. That also was an amazing radio.

Edit: It was actually an Optic 6.

Last edited: