• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Glassing and Painting techniques

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I've been using Upol Dolphin glaze for years. There are a lot of good glazes out there. I really depends on what you local supply house carries.
Glazes are polyester based light weight fillers that use a cream hardener like body filler. Most of them are pourable so they are fairly thin and work great for filling small imperfections. They wont shrink like red spot putty and you can sand them a lot sooner. They sand fairly easy and feather edge very well. Pot life once activated can very with temperature, but a few minutes is all you can normally count on.
20141210_184449_resized.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
So far on my Krill I've been using the Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty (Red Stuff) for filling in the "low" side after sanding the seams. Really no large depressions and most gets wet sanded away before primer. Am I OK using this stuff or do y'all recommend a better product? This shows the little bit left before priming. It seems to work well and sands easily.
View attachment 6083
Earle, the what can happen with red spot putty is when your airplane sits out in the sun the uncatalyzed spot putty can start to shrink and you may be able to see the line of the seem you filled. Lacquer based products are never truly dry and seem to keep moving around for years. Especially when they get hot.

kork

70cc twin V2
Earle, the what can happen with red spot putty is when your airplane sits out in the sun the uncatalyzed spot putty can start to shrink and you may be able to see the line of the seem you filled. Lacquer based products are never truly dry and seem to keep moving around for years. Especially when they get hot.
Its now making sense! Never thought of the later thing In the sun stuff. I was wondering why everyone disliked the product.
Thanks for sharing
So what are you guys using on the areas that get built up like wing fillets?

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
OK...no more red stuff for me! I'll look for som eof the Dolphin glazing putty in my area. Thanks!:cheers:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Earle there are several good brands out there. Upol, Evercoat, Marson and 3M to name a few.

I actually use Evercoat and have had good luck. Would be cool if it had a 30 minute open time instead of 5 minutes or so, but it does seem to mix well in small quantities.

FEATURED!
Thanks Terry GREAT INFO!

I'm going to learn as much as anybody but with all the building going on there is going to be a LOT of painting and finishing going on in the next few months!!!

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
I have forgotten but I used to buy a squeeze pouch of dolphin glaze about once a week back when repairing fiberglass golf cart bodies. Best stuff I ever tried. Even had a little elasticity to it once cured, a big plus!