• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

G26 Air Engine Question

ksand

30cc
I'm looking at possibly going gas... Does anybody happen to know if the G26 Air Engine ZENE26A is the same as the G260PU? In pictures they appear the same, just don't know if anyone has both and can confirm before I order parts.

I have an old(new)Zenoah G260PUM I bought a few years ago for a boat I never built which appears to be the same as a a G260PU except it has a different water cooled cylinder and a pull start based on the parts breakdown in a manual from 2007. All the part numbers don't seem to exist anymore(or at least I can't seem to get the internet to co-operate)... If the ZENE26A is the same as the G260PU I should be able to source the required parts to convert my G260PUM to a ZENE26A from Horizon for cheaper than an entire motor and I will probably get into a gas plane to fit this motor.

Next question: I have a Walbro WT-257 big bore carb. Has anybody used this carb in a plane? If so good or bad? I know when I bought it for a boat it was supposed to give a performance gain but boats/planes are different animals.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The 26a has electronic ignition and the hall sensor is on the front like most aircraft single cylinder engines. The boat motors had the coil and magneto on the back. Crank case is pretty much the same. So cylinder, prop drive, pick-up(hall), ignition and hardware to convert. I would just find a used airplane version. The carb should be fine to use.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I'd have to agree with dimes on this one.....if the boat guys are still using the g26 then you'll probably be better off selling what you have to buy a good used airplane version.
If I had to guess, and keep in mind I'm usually wrong when I guess, i'd say the lower end is the same and you can get started by swapping out the cylinders. But I'm bouncing around in a hotel shuttle van is I haven't put a lot of thought into it. Can look at it later and also look at my G26,when I'm home again tomorrow.

ksand

30cc
dimes, I'd normally listen, but in this instance I know you are wrong. They do have electronic ignition and magneto ignition on the air models. According to Horizon Hobby the ZENE26A is magneto driven:http://www.horizonhobby.com/g26-air-engine-%28155-cu-in%29-zene26a.

I have the boat motor in front of me and they look the same with the exception of cylinder, coil, and pull start, and I even have the part manual in front me showing the difference between the G260PU and the G260PUM. They even share the same part diagram with 2 different cylinders, same piston, same crank, same case, coils mount the same(one grey/one red my boat coil is red, plane is grey), ect...

What I'm wondering is since all the part numbers have changed and it appears that Horizon Hobbies has taken them over, have they changed the motors at all such as bolt patterns ect. In other words would G260PU(old part number for magneto air motor) parts be interchangeable with ZENE26A(new Horizon part number for magneto motor) parts? I doub't Zenoah would change them if it's been working for so many years, but with Horizon Hobbies in the mix now who knows. Sometimes new companies change things so everyone has to just replace stuff instead of repairing.

I would rather just buy the parts to convert. Save a little time and money, not paying shipping on 2 motors, losing money selling this motor over what I paid, and especially if I end up getting a used motor to replace my brand new one. Just doesn't make sense to me. Almost 400$ for new vs about 160$ to convert if nothing has changed except part numbers. For all I know Horizon has always owned them and just changed part numbers over and over.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
@ksand it is not trying to be a right or wrong in recommendation. I know the zens had coil mag air versions as well. Just trying to point you in a light package made for a plane and not a boat! Seems to me you will spend more money in the direction you are going. As far as parts match and fit as long as you stay in the cylinder size (26cc) you should be ok. As far as knowing a cross reference of part # Your guess is as good as mine. And what I mean by "light package" is the newer electronic ignition versions actually have lighter cranks because the mag drive portion of the crank is absent in them. Sorry I was useless my friend.
new 26cc zen.jpg

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
FYI this is a brand new 26EI on RCU for $250. It is the older version and has the hall sensor on the back and is a little heavier than the newest versions.

lg-1206714-0-5473.jpg

ksand

30cc
@ksand it is not trying to be a right or wrong in recommendation. I know the zens had coil mag air versions as well. Just trying to point you in a light package made for a plane and not a boat! Seems to me you will spend more money in the direction you are going. As far as parts match and fit as long as you stay in the cylinder size (26cc) you should be ok. As far as knowing a cross reference of part # Your guess is as good as mine. And what I mean by "light package" is the newer electronic ignition versions actually have lighter cranks because the mag drive portion of the crank is absent in them. Sorry I was useless my friend.

That's ok, I guess I'll just order and see. I knew they had both, just figured I have this save a few bucks and go with it. I'll hope Zenoah hasn't changed. The 160$ is including the exhaust, cylinder, prop hub and hardware, and new coil. So as long as their new part number cross over I'll have a plane motor soon. Also... Now the electric ignition motor is sold as ZENEP26 "ZP Platinum 26cc".

Now obviously lighter is better and the new electronic ignition would be the better choice, but the electronic ignition wasn't always around and they were just magneto at some point in time. So with the heavier magneto motor does it make a significant difference? Obviously you'd be making up some of the weight with bigger battery that now has to power the motor spark in addition to running servos/radio. Would the magneto version be acceptable in a sport/3d plane or would it be limited to more of a circle flyer such as a cub? Like I said I'd be a noob with gas, and really only have 1 good summer flying sport/3d electrics(not that well by the way). Since I may already have the motor, Id get a plane to suit this instead of the other way around.

ksand

30cc
That's ok, I guess I'll just order and see. I knew they had both, just figured I have this save a few bucks and go with it. I'll hope Zenoah hasn't changed. The 160$ is including the exhaust, cylinder, prop hub and hardware, and new coil. So as long as their new part number cross over I'll have a plane motor soon. Also... Now the electric ignition motor is sold as ZENEP26 "ZP Platinum 26cc".

Now obviously lighter is better and the new electronic ignition would be the better choice, but the electronic ignition wasn't always around and they were just magneto at some point in time. So with the heavier magneto motor does it make a significant difference? Obviously you'd be making up some of the weight with bigger battery that now has to power the motor spark in addition to running servos/radio. Would the magneto version be acceptable in a sport/3d plane or would it be limited to more of a circle flyer such as a cub? Like I said I'd be a noob with gas, and really only have 1 good summer flying sport/3d electrics(not that well by the way). Since I may already have the motor, Id get a plane to suit this instead of the other way around.

FYI this is a brand new 26EI on RCU for $250. It is the older version and has the hall sensor on the back and is a little heavier than the newest versions.

View attachment 16505

I see what your saying about good used being near the same for price and appreciate that help, but unless I found locally or from someone I actually know and trust I would not purchase from an individual. Over the years on the internet I've been burned a few times and it always averaged out to being the same as buying new anyways. Plus having a motor that I can convert will help with the approval from my wife to get into gas! LOL "I already have a motor, might as well get a plane to put it in" That's the hardest part of getting new toys, making sure there will be a place to sleep afterwards!

Last edited:

ksand

30cc
Well, I got rid of it. I had a chance to trade locally for some scale truck parts I needed so I did it. But I just got a chance to fly my Beast 60e and it makes me want gas even more... The bigger the plane the better they fly! Gonna have to start saving...