• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Futaba 16sz

It' time to upgrade my transmitter. As more money gets wrappd up in my planes I'm finding my current radio is not sufficient.
I currntly use Spektrum and from all the bad I've heard about brown outs ect. It scares me, although I have had no issues to date but also I'm lacking in the channel department. I have been reading forums and watching videos which led me to the Futaba 16sz. The price seems reasonable at 699.00 and the futaba reputation seems more solid than my current system. I'm wondering if anyone has used this radio or has any suggestions for a higher end radio system.

Hi
I do not have any experience with this radio, although I flew Futaba for 20 years, before I moved over to Graupner, almost 3 years ago. Futaba has been for me a trusted and dependable Tx, never once had I lost a model due to a brown-out or interference. Rock solid reception between the radio and the receiver, and 7 years of that time was with flying 3d heli's. So I would say go ahead and get yourself a new Futaba radio.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I fly spectrum read a lot about brown out but I have never had one in all the years I have flown. Well I should say JR but the transmission is the same. I have been looking to up grade for the past few years but have not found what I am looking for. Have had a good look at the 16sz looks good to me and with the new spectrum XI12 that just been released looking at it as well. The decision is getting interesting. One thing that keeps me from getting a Futaba is the price of receivers I will need at least 8to10 units that adds to a lot of money while if I get the new XI 12 all my receivers will be good to go.
Will be interested to follow this thread to see the outcome.

I fly spectrum read a lot about brown out but I have never had one in all the years I have flown. Well I should say JR but the transmission is the same. I have been looking to up grade for the past few years but have not found what I am looking for. Have had a good look at the 16sz looks good to me and with the new spectrum XI12 that just been released looking at it as well. The decision is getting interesting. One thing that keeps me from getting a Futaba is the price of receivers I will need at least 8to10 units that adds to a lot of money while if I get the new XI 12 all my receivers will be good to go.
Will be interested to follow this thread to see the outcome.

I saw the ix12 also, what worried me about it is being android based, same a the JR x28 which had tons of reports as to being buggy. The other thing is I don't know if you have tried it but the spektrum AS3X android program has never worked well/at all. Makes me wonder if they have the radio right or if it will have that new product buggyness...

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I saw the ix12 also, what worried me about it is being android based, same a the JR x28 which had tons of reports as to being buggy. The other thing is I don't know if you have tried it but the spektrum AS3X android program has never worked well/at all. Makes me wonder if they have the radio right or if it will have that new product buggyness...
No I no experience with the AS3X most of my receivers are 9 to 12 channel with power safe switches the old style. I agree with JR28X would not touch one but also I would not pay $3000 for a radio.

No I no experience with the AS3X most of my receivers are 9 to 12 channel with power safe switches the old style. I agree with JR28X would not touch one but also I would not pay $3000 for a radio.
Yeah 3000 for a radio is too steep for me also... I will for sure watch for reviews and real experience on the ix12.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It' time to upgrade my transmitter. As more money gets wrappd up in my planes I'm finding my current radio is not sufficient.
I currntly use Spektrum and from all the bad I've heard about brown outs ect. It scares me, although I have had no issues to date but also I'm lacking in the channel department. I have been reading forums and watching videos which led me to the Futaba 16sz. The price seems reasonable at 699.00 and the futaba reputation seems more solid than my current system. I'm wondering if anyone has used this radio or has any suggestions for a higher end radio system.

Start out with the Futaba 14sg, they are $250 in the classifieds. Similar to the 16 but the jog dial and no touch screen.

Colt4570

New to GSN!
Just upgraded from a Futaba 10J to a 16SZ, and so far so good! The programming is much more intuitive than the 10J, and the bigger screen is nice! I only have a few planes on it so far, but I'm really happy with it.

I was about to buy the 14SG when Futaba announced this model. If you want to save some $, I know several friends that fly the 14SG and they're very happy with it.