• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

First 50cc plane

bcfhigdon

New to GSN!
Need guidance. Thought I was going to buy a pilot yak 54. But I really rather the look of edge \ extra planes. Was leaning toward the edge 540 but a fellow club member tells me the wing is radical and the yak \ extra wing is much better suited for sport flying maybe a try at iMac. I fly pattern in advanced don't plan on any 3D. I am considering the pau,pilot, and aeroworks planes
Appreciate any advice. Thanks

You will get differing views on such subject. Airplanes are like your favorite car. What 1 likes, another may not. But anywhos......

PAU, Pilot, EG, EF, Bill Hemple (not in that specific order) are all great airplanes. Edges do fly precsion, but do not "stall" as clean as the Yak or Extra flavor. Not quite sure what you mean by "the wing is radical" on the 540??

The Edge is more of a FreeStyle airplane. The Yak and Extra are the best of both worlds.

I'm more of an Extra fan over a Yak. But I did own a 108" Yak 55M. It was AWESOME!

Last edited:

emtp275

100cc
I hope to pick up the Pilot Edge at nall!! I have a few extras, different brands but really stable and precise, the two I have are a low wing airframe and dont excel at slow 3D for me but my 50cc is my choice for trying IMAC this year, my big slick is the best of both worlds but rite now its hard for me to give that plane hell I love it but the price tag screams play nice, My 89 Slick is just too floaty and I am hoping the edge will be a nice mix, I had a 78" edge in the past but I have grown alot sense then and cant say what it could do but I know it would cut str8 lines and I did enjoy it but I have limited space and sale last weeks airframe to buy new ones here lately

Last edited:

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
Go with what catches your fancy, don't be swayed by others. If you get something else, you will always wonder if you should have gotten the Edge instead. I agree that the Edge may not stall the same as the Extra or Yak, but it does things that they won't. If you plan on IMAC, go with the Yak or Extra. If it is just for fun/sport flying and trying some 3D, get the Edge. Any of the planes are more capable than 99% of the pilots out there, get what you want and have fun with it!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Go with what catches your fancy, don't be swayed by others. If you get something else, you will always wonder if you should have gotten the Edge instead. I agree that the Edge may not stall the same as the Extra or Yak, but it does things that they won't. If you plan on IMAC, go with the Yak or Extra. If it is just for fun/sport flying and trying some 3D, get the Edge. Any of the planes are more capable than 99% of the pilots out there, get what you want and have fun with it!
I really couldn't have said this better than what @3Dchief and Chris, @Bunky.F.Knuckle did. Being the owner of two of the previously mentioned brands and also of two of the previously mentioned airframes, I can honestly say in a 50cc class, the Pilot is definitely one way you could go. If you're not so worried about dollars, then others will fit the bill. My sons Big ASS PAU Edge is a just a dream to fly in any type of flying. My big 260 Extra is just as sweet, but I think a little more on the docile side. But it will do "ANYTHING" my Edge will do. I also have a PAU 35% Extra 300 that will scare the living crap outta ya. But is just as tame and docile as my big 260. My Pilot Edge is an amazing little hucker, quick, responsive, stable and tough as all hell. I have a friend that has a Pilot 35% Yak 54 and he flat rocks the crap outta that plane. Stable, precise and down right wicked too. What ever you choose, stay with a quality airframe, select quality components and fly it like you stole it. You will be pleased in any form. In the 50cc class, any of these airframes will get you what you are looking for.

Last edited:

ryan_m

100cc
Need guidance. Thought I was going to buy a pilot yak 54. But I really rather the look of edge \ extra planes. Was leaning toward the edge 540 but a fellow club member tells me the wing is radical and the yak \ extra wing is much better suited for sport flying maybe a try at iMac. I fly pattern in advanced don't plan on any 3D. I am considering the pau,pilot, and aeroworks planes
Appreciate any advice. Thanks

A guy near Cabot, Arkansas just asked me to post up a brand new in box Pilot Extra 330 50cc airframe to our club's for sale page... not too far from you. Might be able to work out a deal with him on it if you like. He also has a new in box DLE-55 to go with it. Might save a bundle of shipping if you were interested in his plane... his is the red/white/blue one. If you are interested send me a PM and I'll send you his contact info. He would only be about 2 hours from you, and if he would meet you part way, might be an easy/cheap purchase!

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
If you are set on going 50cc I would go with the extra. The pilot mentioned above would be great. It will do everything well all around for you. Aeroworks, Pilot and Hempel would be very stable choices. for extras. I usually watch maiden videos on youtube and that can usually tell you how a plane does from the get go.