• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

First 3D balsa

Mopar32985

New to GSN!
Well i guess to start off i have been flying for about 5 years and im looking to get my first balsa plane. What im looking for is something that is very forgiving so it makes me feel more relaxed jumping into balsa. The main criteria im looking for is a bird that runs off of 3s but if there is something that any of you would reccomend even if not a 3s plane please feel free to let me know. The main birds i have been looking at so far is the PA Addiction X. Seems like one of the largest birds i can go with and still stick to the 3s. Any other help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Chance-

gyro

GSN Contributor
Other 3s airplanes to consider (I personally think the Edge airframe design is very stable and forgiving as a first airplane):

3D HobbyShop 48" Edge with an Omega 130g motor, 60A ESC, 14x7 prop, and 3s 2200-2600 batteries. ---great starter plane with sprung steel landing gear than can be bent back into place after a less than perfect landing
ExtremeFlight RC 48" Edge. this plane really cooks on 4s, but with the right motor and prop, 3s will work fine. The recommended Torque motor with a 13x6.5 on 3s will work, and some have also liked the Motrolfly 2820-950 and a 13x6.5.

If you throw the PA Addiction-X in there, I'd rank that one last of the bunch, as they don't seem to hold up to abuse as well as the others, and since this is your first Balsa airplane, I think you'd enjoy something durable.

In the end, pic the one that looks the best! They'll all work fine :)

Mopar32985

New to GSN!
Gyro Thank you very much for your reply. Thank you for pointing out more durable airframes. This by far will help me make a decision on wich one to go with. Both of the other planes you suggested look very nice gonna have to do so research on them. Thanks again.

-Chance-

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Mopar I just started assembly on the 3dhs 48 edge and it looks like its going to be a great flyer. Goes together really really easily too. It is my first balsa 3d plane.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Gyro Thank you very much for your reply. Thank you for pointing out more durable airframes. This by far will help me make a decision on wich one to go with. Both of the other planes you suggested look very nice gonna have to do so research on them. Thanks again.

-Chance-

My pleasure. With regards to the EF and 3DHS Edges, I've owned both of them. The 3DHS is the lighter of the two, and like I mentioned, has the sprung steel gear. The EF is a pinch heavier, but includes Carbon Fiber gear, and Side Force Generators. They really improve the stability in harrier.
Like I mentioned, either one are great airplanes. Good luck, and let us know if you have any other questions.

-G

Mopar32985

New to GSN!
Well im heavily leaning towards the EF Edge. Im just going with there combo with the recommended motor and ESC. What size spinner does it take would also like to order that at the same time. Gyro so i can use the motor that comes in the combo with a 13x6.5 on 3s. Im guessing and APC prop will do fine or is ther another you would suggest. Also think i will go with the HS-65mg all around unless there is other suggestions that might save me a few coins. This comming week im getting my Christmas bonus of $400 and the wife said i could spend it on my toys HAHA. Thanks again guys.

-Chance-

gyro

GSN Contributor
Chance, either plane will be great. If you like the EF Edge better, than get that one. I personally think the stock motor is better suited for 4s, but as listed on their website, it'll do 3s, and you'll want at least the 13x6.5 APC, maybe even a 13x8 APC.
As for the spinner, the 40mm should would great. And finally, the HS-65MG servos are perfect for this airplane. I went "above and beyond" and used a HS-85mg on my elevator, but that was overkill and because I was overpowering mine with a 900w motor.
On 3s, the HS-65MGs all around should be great!

Good luck :)

-G