• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Fiber Optic servo extension

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Roger.....being a complete dummy about these sorts of things.....can you give us your thoughts as to how this system differs from the Sbus systems (again of which I know nothing)? Thanks!!!

Roger.....being a complete dummy about these sorts of things.....can you give us your thoughts as to how this system differs from the Sbus systems (again of which I know nothing)? Thanks!!!
good question, Sbus usually is used where you don't have too much room near the receiver, but also like in my case, my receiver has 8 channels for direct input, but by using 4 Sbus decoders I now have access to all 16 channels. I beleive with Futaba SBus, you can purchase servos that you program to there own channels.
With the one I am using from FrSky, I use a channel changer to program the Sbus decoders for the full 16 channels which I need.

The Fiber Optic servos extension, has nothing to do with this , it is only a servo extension with loads of protection by using light as the signal instead of a wire from the receiver. I use the Fiber Optic servo extension in conjunction with the SBus, and the reason is all of the above . Then I can load the servos with as much current I want , and the SBus decoders and the receiver never sees this high current and is totally optically isolated

If I didn't explain properly then please ask for more detail, since I wasn't a school teacher, I often do not explain properly

Hah! You overestimate my friend!

Question....can you explain how the encoders work?

The signal from the rx is encoded in electrical bits and is usually sent out to the servo where it is decoded to make it work properly, so with this said, I decoded it before it gets to the servo, with the encoder , which then sends light pulses through the fiber optic cable. at the other (servo end) the decoder decodes the light pulses and returns it to its original electrical bits, but the advantage here is you don't rely on the electrical voltage of the receiver which is very low, but rather rely on the servo battery which is also the decoder battery, then you get full voltage of 6 to 8 volts instead of the measly 3 to 4 volts.

Forgot to mention the fiber optic cable are the plastic type, very rugged and you can basically pinch it tight and it still works, The glass type which will transmit for longer distances, are also brittle, not good for this