• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ESC problems

I have a 57" Extra with the following setup:
Hacker a40-10s
castle creations ice lite 75
zippy compact 4s 4000mah 30c and sky lipo 4s 4000mah 25c

I have been having problems with my esc resetting in mid flight because of voltage reasons im assuming. I started out with a 14+7 prop and had no problems but i went to 15+6 prop and the thing went to dropping the voltage so far that it would reset the esc. I can go back to the 14+7 but I didnt think that setup was supposed to be a problem at all on that airplane so I having a little bit of a hard time believing that its supposed to do that with a 15+6 prop but I dont no what else it would be. Advice would be much appreciated!! Its hard on things to be hovering an airplane and have the electrical system fail!!:veryshocked:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have a 57" Extra with the following setup:
Hacker a40-10s
castle creations ice lite 75
zippy compact 4s 4000mah 30c and sky lipo 4s 4000mah 25c

I have been having problems with my esc resetting in mid flight because of voltage reasons im assuming. I started out with a 14+7 prop and had no problems but i went to 15+6 prop and the thing went to dropping the voltage so far that it would reset the esc. I can go back to the 14+7 but I didnt think that setup was supposed to be a problem at all on that airplane so I having a little bit of a hard time believing that its supposed to do that with a 15+6 prop but I dont no what else it would be. Advice would be much appreciated!! Its hard on things to be hovering an airplane and have the electrical system fail!!:veryshocked:

Since your ESC has more than enough amp rating to handle your needs, and I'll assume that your settings for low voltage cutoff (LVC) aren't absurdly high... it sounds like your batteries might be the thing causing the issue. If they can't supply the juice needed by the 15" prop, the ESC will hit LVC, and/or BEC output voltage will drop. Have you trying running it up on the ground with a wattmeter to check how much voltage drops under load?

No I havent tried that I need to get a wattmeter first I dont have one:( but I got a programmer and programmed my esc for a lower LVC but it didnt do the trick like I thought it would so ya i should get me a wattmeter and test some of that stuff out see whats happening... And another thing I thought it might be like you say is my batts. Im not so sure that my motor isnt pulling a few more amps that what my batts are rated for. I probably should try some higher discharge batts.

SnowDog

No I havent tried that I need to get a wattmeter first I dont have one:( but I got a programmer and programmed my esc for a lower LVC but it didnt do the trick like I thought it would so ya i should get me a wattmeter and test some of that stuff out see whats happening... And another thing I thought it might be like you say is my batts. Im not so sure that my motor isnt pulling a few more amps that what my batts are rated for. I probably should try some higher discharge batts.

Have to agree that with the info you have provided, the batteries are the suspicious item in the equation. First thing: get yourself a wattmeter...they are not expensive and you need one to know what your batteries are doing under load. Don't sacrifice a $300 airframe for lack of a $20 wattmeter!

Do you have or do you know anyone who has the USB interface to the ICE Lite? The data logs should reveal much....

Ya I have that USB interface but I slam forgot bout the data logging on it:( Ill have to try that. Do you think that the batts I have dont have a high enough discharge rating or just sorry batts?

Ya I have that USB interface but I slam forgot bout the data logging on it:( Ill have to try that. Do you think that the batts I have dont have a high enough discharge rating or just sorry batts?

We won't really know that until you get some data :)

I flew yesterday and downloaded the data... 14x7 prop...
Min voltage: 13v (3.15v per cell) Max amps: 55a Max watts: 757w
I wasnt thinking at all and deleted all the data from before without saving it so I cant give the statistics on the 15x6 prop i had on the 57" and aint had the time yet to fly with it but will try to get that. I do remember that the max amps with the 15x6 was 68a so that tells me that there is something wrong with my batts but the crazy thing is that those batts are absolutely never hot when I pull them out and not even warm hardly so its really really a crazy deal:( I dropped My LVC on the esc down to 6v so it isnt gonna be quittin on me anytime soon:) but Id still like to no what the problem is because it should not be hittin the LVC of 9v that I had it set to before with only pulling 55a or even 68a.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I flew yesterday and downloaded the data... 14x7 prop...
Min voltage: 13v (3.15v per cell) Max amps: 55a Max watts: 757w
I wasnt thinking at all and deleted all the data from before without saving it so I cant give the statistics on the 15x6 prop i had on the 57" and aint had the time yet to fly with it but will try to get that. I do remember that the max amps with the 15x6 was 68a so that tells me that there is something wrong with my batts but the crazy thing is that those batts are absolutely never hot when I pull them out and not even warm hardly so its really really a crazy deal:( I dropped My LVC on the esc down to 6v so it isnt gonna be quittin on me anytime soon:) but Id still like to no what the problem is because it should not be hittin the LVC of 9v that I had it set to before with only pulling 55a or even 68a.

3.15 is the only number needed. Throw those batteries away and get some glaciers. :)