• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Engine choice?

Ok guys need some advice this being my first gasser..my x cub is listed as 60 to 70 cc so I've looked at the eme 70 cc twin which will fit and I've looked at the die 85 cc single.. I'm flying this off floats so thinking of maybe the die 85..is vibration a big deal with the singles? Would the twin be sufficient? I'm a procrastinator and just want to make the best decision. Not familiar with either engine so any advice if this were your plane which direction you would take. Thank Thomas.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just my opinion have owned 85, have a 70 and 100 twin. If you set up 85 well it will out power the 100 twin. If it were me I would always buy a twin over 60cc and anything under 60 it will be single.

amstd7

70cc twin V2
I am building that same airframe, have been doing quiet a bit of research on which engine to install. I am thinking seriously about the DLE 60cc twin, mainly for the fact of having less vibration and I read where they had to add a pound of weight in the nose to get the CG right, the plane is already heavy to begin with. Mine will not be on floats, but would like to explore the possibility of installing the spring landing gear, but that too is more weight and it hasn't made much sense how the shock absorbing feature works since I got it???. I think you would be good with the 70 or 60cc twin.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I am building that same airframe, have been doing quiet a bit of research on which engine to install. I am thinking seriously about the DLE 60cc twin, mainly for the fact of having less vibration and I read where they had to add a pound of weight in the nose to get the CG right, the plane is already heavy to begin with. Mine will not be on floats, but would like to explore the possibility of installing the spring landing gear, but that too is more weight and it hasn't made much sense how the shock absorbing feature works since I got it???. I think you would be good with the 70 or 60cc twin.

If you need weight up front, might as well make it smart weight. The EME 70cc from what I hear is very reliable, and it's heavier than the DA70... very hard to beat the EME 70cc for the price.
DA70 is 55grams more than the DLE60 (engine only) Which is under 1/8lb more than the 60 depending on which muffs are used.
EME70 is 245grams more than the DLE60 (stock muffs and ign on both) So it's a full 1/2lb more. EME 70 is $30 CHEAPER.

I'd check out how much weight is needed in the nose. Not sure what engine someone had on it that required a full pound of weight in the nose..... If that's the case you should use an EME70, it's a no brainer. If floats are used, maybe the extra performance would be nice.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The only advice I will give from float flying which I do quite a bit. If you have engine in it and if it has starter you will love it and you have no idea how safe it is to put it into the water with the engine not running.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions! I'm going to order the eme 70 twin with starter.. snoopy I also thought a starter would be very good on a float plane in case engines dies you wouldn't need the boat possibly..that was a big deal at looking at the eme..as far as weight from what I've read adding floats generally makes planes more tail heavy so eme should work out good.. tonight im sheeting the floats..got mounting points done today step 1/2 inch behind cg and have almost 2 degrees positive in wing with floats level..that took me a while but got it done!

Patto

70cc twin V2
I think a cub with a large wing loading should be able to handle the weight anyways.
Check this out from another build here. Maybe @Patto can chime in with the autostart
https://www.giantscalenews.com/threads/hostetler-cessna-336-skymaster.7673/page-24

I have owned two EME 55's with autostarts and two EME 70's. After 2 years, one of my 70's needs bearings. It is the one that has been run more and has been run harder. We followed the instructions for oil. The bearings are definitely a weak point on that brand. However, the electric starters are very difficult to beat. On my SkyMaster, May she rest in peace, it was absolutely awesome. The starters worked perfectly and saved me from having to hand start the rear engine, which was between two booms.