• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

EASY RIVETS & DETAILS — Improving the looks of any ARF Warbird

GSNadmin

Staff member
While I was building my giant-scale Top Flite F4U Corsair ARF, I wanted to add just a touch of detail to help break up its overall-blue paint scheme. Regardless of your model’s color, adding some visual surface detail helps your plane gain depth and realism. It’s easy to do with some basic techniques and supplies—here’s how I did it.

The technique for applying panel lines with a pen has been around for a long time, but fine felt-tip pens really make the task simple. First, clean the surface of your plane and really degrease it so the ink will last. You also need some flexible, straightedge rulers, and some basic templates. I use plastic drafting templates for making small panels and the other quick details. For larger circles, templates are also available at most office supply stores.

Scale color profile drawings from aviation books, online drawings and photos also make handy references for detail placement. Remember, this is not a full-blown detailing treatment. I just wanted to add a hint of detail to add some eye candy to an otherwise smooth, film-covered ARF…

MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS PREMIUM members can access this article and many others highlighting amazing techniques, RC airplane builds and projects. When you become a member, you’ll get instant online access to our back-issue archives, the latest Model Airplane News Digital Editions, all of our newsstand-only special issues, and much more.

Membership includes exclusive access to our enormous collection of RC information.

• 7+ years of digital editions of Model Airplane News
  • Flight Journal and Model Airplane News special issue digital editions, previously only available on newsstands
  • Free access to our magazine app through the iTunes Store – get Model Airplane News on your mobile or tablet device
  • Aerobatic flight technique video lessons for plane & helicopter pilots
  • Contests & giveaways only for members
  • 30 years of Model Airplane News archives
  • 10 years of Electric Flight archives
  • 5% off ALL Air Age Store purchases every time you shop

http://www.airagestore.com/membersh...f-exclusive-member-access-for-only-24-95.html

Model Airplane News - The #1 resource for RC plane and helicopter enthusiasts featuring news, videos, product releases and tech tips.

Continue reading...