• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Don Smith P-51 Mustang

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So I wasn't going to say anything because I have been so back and forth on this project and the engine choice. I had ultimately decided to get the 3wi r2 cs for the Mighty Stang. Those of you that have been following along closely know the reasons why. It truly was an exhaustive search that left me drained of watching videos, crunching numbers, checking measurements, weights, prop choices, cooling baffling, and sending out emails to the extent that my fingertips are bleeding and my keyboard is worn out. Oh and lets not forget the sound I wanted for the Mustang. I had even been talking to Erwin Mueller about having him build me a prop reduction unit like he did for his 110 dub. He would have been the first best choice because he has all the measurements and all the knowledge and experience of building his prototype that simply was fantastic. First it was the Kolm, then it was the dub twin then I was considering, (of all engine choices) the DLA liquid cooled 116 inline twin. How cool would it have been to have a functioning radiator in the air scoop and operating exhaust waste gates? The thought of the DA 100 inline came and went so fast I didn't even see it leave. LOL. I then honestly came soo soo close to buying a Roto 130 triple. All I had to do was push the button and done. But the dude jacked the price on the listing by 300 bucks when he contacted me. Not that 300 dollars made the difference. And then relisted it for the same price as I had found it. Weird. It was the idea of how he was doing business. I had ultimately decided on the 3w 110cs inline. But then the shipment got delayed from Germany. I was then contacted again by the gent that had his 150 Kolm with starter. Then I was contacted by one of his buddies and then Thomas Gass, (the Kolm team pilot and Kolm engine guru) Thomas insured me that no matter what I needed, he and Kolm engines would do anything and everything they could to help me in this endeavour. And all this got me to thinking. But it was of all things the echoing of a certain "Cheeseburger" lovin' friends words that kept haunting me. Yeah, I was hearing voices. "If you're going to do it, do it right". He said. And then came the final "push" that sent me over the edge. Daniel made me an offer on the 150 I could not, just simply could not turn down. Sooo….. At present, the Kolm 150 3 cylinder with starter and custom baffling has been shipped from Urdorf, Switzerland, made it through sorting at Frauenfeld, then sorting through Haerkingen and according to Daniel, it should show up at my door by Wednesday to Friday of next week.

Wed 21.11.2018 08:32 Mailed 8902 Urdorf
Wed 21.11.2018 21:38 Sorting FRAUENFELD
Wed 21.11.2018 23:20 Sorting FRAUENFELD
Wed 21.11.2018 23:47 Sorting FRAUENFELD
Thu 22.11.2018 00:33 Sorting FRAUENFELD
Thu 22.11.2018 00:47 Sorting FRAUENFELD
Thu 22.11.2018 13:15 Sorting HAERKINGEN

I am so excited I can't hardly contain myself. I honestly have not been this excited and wound up regarding this hobby and all it is about since I did my first "Rudder Bump" with Baby and that beasty 157cs a few scant years ago. I hardly slept last night...and all I can think about is...that sound. Those three beautiful cylinders pouring out loud rumbling and roaring music across the sky.

So the cat is out of the bag. Thanks to Kelly, my cheeseburger eatin' brutha from a diff'rnt mutha.

Come to Poppa my lovely 3 jugged beauty. Daddy's a waitin'!!!

IMG_20181024_174943.jpg
IMG_20181024_175002.jpg
IMG_20181024_175022.jpg

Last edited:

WMcNabb

150cc
AWESOME!!! Outstanding news Rob!!
I almost asked the question earlier today, but thought maybe I had missed the choice earlier in the thread.
I’m excited for you, and can’t wait for this build.
Should be an excellent adventure!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
So I wasn't going to say anything because I have been so back and forth on this project and the engine choice. I had ultimately decided to get the 3wi r2 cs for the Mighty Stang. Those of you that have been following along closely know the reasons why. It truly was an exhaustive search that left me drained of watching videos, crunching numbers, checking measurements, weights, prop choices, cooling baffling, and sending out emails to the extent that my fingertips are bleeding and my keyboard is worn out. Oh and lets not forget the sound I wanted for the Mustang. I had even been talking to Erwin Mueller about having him build me a prop reduction unit like he did for his 110 dub. He would have been the first best choice because he has all the measurements and all the knowledge and experience of building his prototype that simply was fantastic. First it was the Kolm, then it was the dub twin then I was considering, (of all engine choices) the DLA liquid cooled 116 inline twin. How cool would it have been to have a functioning radiator in the air scoop and operating exhaust waste gates? The thought of the DA 100 inline came and went so fast I didn't even see it leave. LOL. I then honestly came soo soo close to buying a Roto 130 triple. All I had to do was push the button and done. But the dude jacked the price on the listing by 300 bucks when he contacted me. Not that 300 dollars made the difference. And then relisted it for the same price as I had found it. Weird. It was the idea of how he was doing business. I had ultimately decided on the 3w 110cs inline. But then the shipment got delayed from Germany. I was then contacted again by the gent that had his 150 Kolm with starter. Then I was contacted by one of his buddies and then Thomas Gass, (the Kolm team pilot and Kolm engine guru) Thomas insured me that no matter what I needed, he and Kolm engines would do anything and everything they could to help me in this endeavour. And all this got me to thinking. But it was of all things the echoing of a certain "Cheeseburger" lovin' friends words that kept haunting me. Yeah, I was hearing voices. "If you're going to do it, do it right". He said. And then came the final "push" that sent me over the edge. Daniel made me an offer on the 150 I could not, just simply could not turn down. Sooo….. At present, the Kolm 150 3 cylinder with starter and custom baffling has been shipped from Urdorf, Switzerland, made it through sorting at Frauenfeld, then sorting through Haerkingen and according to Daniel, it should show up at my door by Wednesday to Friday of next week.

Wed 21.11.2018 08:32 Mailed 8902 Urdorf
Wed 21.11.2018 21:38 Sorting FRAUENFELD
Wed 21.11.2018 23:20 Sorting FRAUENFELD
Wed 21.11.2018 23:47 Sorting FRAUENFELD
Thu 22.11.2018 00:33 Sorting FRAUENFELD
Thu 22.11.2018 00:47 Sorting FRAUENFELD
Thu 22.11.2018 13:15 Sorting HAERKINGEN

I am so excited I can't hardly contain myself. I honestly have not been this excited and wound up regarding this hobby and all it is about since I did my first "Rudder Bump" with Baby and that beasty 157cs a few scant years ago. I hardly slept last night...and all I can think about is...that sound. Those three beautiful cylinders pouring out loud rumbling and roaring music across the sky.

So the cat is out of the bag. Thanks to Kelly, my cheeseburger eatin' brutha from a diff'rnt mutha.

Come to Poppa my lovely 3 jugged beauty. I'm a waitin'!!!

View attachment 106891 View attachment 106892 View attachment 106893
Very cool!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I knew you were going to!!!!

AWESOME!!! Outstanding news Rob!!
I almost asked the question earlier today, but thought maybe I had missed the choice earlier in the thread.
I’m excited for you, and can’t wait for this build.
Should be an excellent adventure!

Very cool!
Thanks guys. Will definitely post photos at the very least when it gets here.

Little Pop-Top is going to be jealous. I really can't share my bed with both him and this beauty now can I? LMAO

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Great news fellas... I talked to Darrell today. The Sierra Landing gear for the big "Stang" are done. They will probably be here just shortly after the Kolm "Tres cylinder one fity". Which by the way, it is here:
Sun 25.11.2018 13:17 Handed to customs USSFOA
Mon 26.11.2018 12:57 Postal customs clearance is complete US

Won't be long now. Still hoping for Wednesday. This is going to be so much fun with you fellas along for the ride.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Finally... it is here. OH and how relieved I am. I have been on pins and needles for over a week. Worrying and stressing. Not sleeping and not eating and...****, I sound like I am chasing a girl. LOL...

20181127_190358.jpg
20181127_190438.jpg
20181127_190444.jpg
20181127_190516.jpg
20181127_190525.jpg

Not much at my age turns me on these days. Give me a beast motor and a set of wings and I am one smiling boy.