• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Curious. Ethanol or not

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
.......Cheap pump gas......Cheap China tubing......Cheap China motors and some not so cheap China motors. The not so cheap China motors do great along with the Cheap China motors with 87octane and 10% or less ethanol. 32:1 red line keeps me happy with my Cheap stuff and not so cheap stuff. The weather has more of an affect on performance where I am at over the fuel type and oil content.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
.......Cheap pump gas......Cheap China tubing......Cheap China motors and some not so cheap China motors. The not so cheap China motors do great along with the Cheap China motors with 87octane and 10% or less ethanol. 32:1 red line keeps me happy with my Cheap stuff and not so cheap stuff. The weather has more of an affect on performance where I am at over the fuel type and oil content.
Dang, you just cheap huh?!?!:spongebob:

That's too funny. We must be twin son's fom different mothers. Lol....I do the same thing where my truck is concerned. Why is it our planes get the best motors, the best batteries, the best servo's and the best gas. But the vehicle we use to transport our fine flying machines has to suck it up with second rate gas??!! Lol

Hmmm, My Ford Edge gets the 93 octane treatment whenever I fill up my gas can. I add 4 gallons of 93 to make sure I have good 93 to add to my fuel can. But in reality if your vehicle is recommended for 87 use 87. Anything higher is a waste of money and potential for loss of HP. I once had a dyno chart for a Suzuki Hayabusa and it is recommended to use 87 I believe. On 93 it made 5 HP less. Unless you are tuned for higher octane you are burning on the way up.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The computer in your car will retard the timing if it senses spark knock which lowers performance. Higher octane can reduce spark knock which can lead to better performance.

The computer in your car will retard the timing if it senses spark knock which lowers performance. Higher octane can reduce spark knock which can lead to better performance.

If it detects knock. Timing will be fixed unless the PCM received a signal from the knock sensor. Unless you are using crappy fuel, timing adjustments are not needed.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Where I live all the fuel is crap. Since we are just East of St. Louis the EPA has determined that my county has to use special formulations that change with the season to reduce emissions, which is why you wont find ethanol free fuel here. We have proven time and again if you fill up in another county you get better mileage and better performance. My work truck which is pre OBD II doesn't retard timing and spark knocks like crazy on the summer formulation here.

Where I live all the fuel is crap. Since we are just East of St. Louis the EPA has determined that my county has to use special formulations that change with the season to reduce emissions, which is why you wont find ethanol free fuel here. We have proven time and again if you fill up in another county you get better mileage and better performance. My work truck which is pre OBD II doesn't retard timing and spark knocks like crazy on the summer formulation here.
We have the same thing. Winter and Summer blends. No E0 around here either other than buying from a fuel vendor that sells to farmers. But minimum purchase is 55 gallons and they have 2" nozzles so you need a big can (no pun intended lol). I do notice a few MPG drop in fuel economy but never could detect reduced performance.

I would grab the crappiest fuel I could find. Run it in my cars and in my airplane engines. Then I went to 93 oct in my airplane engines. Now, I just get whatever I feel like that day.