• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Covering Ideas Please. Yellow Base - what next?

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I am finishing up a Super Decathlon build. I had cub Yellow Solartex fabric covering from a previous project so I used that. Now what to do next. My wife said it looks like a bumble bee. Should I go full on bumble bee, or get the decathlon stars with stripes? I was originally thinking white stars and stripes with a black outline. Any ideas?

10771=4403-Decathlon 016.jpg
10771=4403-Decathlon 016.jpg
10771=4404-Decathlon 017.jpg
10771=4404-Decathlon 017.jpg
10771=4405-Decathlon 018.jpg
10771=4405-Decathlon 018.jpg

Jlc

70cc twin V2
I don't have an opinion on the scheme but every time I see a picture of a plane covered in solartex it looks great. Is it good to work with and does it last? By the way huge fan of yellow and black!

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I love it also. I was surprised at how easy it was to work with. I used it for the first time on a cub and these are the leftovers. I am liking the idea of a "bee" theme, just don't know what I would do.

Bipeguy03

150cc
You could try the Decathlon scheme with Blue stars and stripes with white trim, I always liked the colors blue in yellow together..... Untill you put it on a football helmet and come from that state up north of Ohio ;)

Flymedic

50cc
I covered a couple full scale Super Cubs, painted base color yellow then a red and a black stripe full length from on the on the cowl to a point near the rear of the rudder. Then I painted the leading edge of the wings about 9" in both top and bottom that swept with the wings tip and then added a red stripe running along the black edge at 1/2" from the black. It turned out to look way nice. I wish I had taken my own pic's of them. I was working for a guy at the FBO and he took some. That was when I was in Utah at the Parowan Airport. Maybe if the idea appeals to you, you could mock it up in a drawing ?????

Bipeguy03

150cc
Flymedic;11186 wrote: I covered a couple full scale Super Cubs, painted base color yellow then a red and a black stripe full length from on the on the cowl to a point near the rear of the rudder. Then I painted the leading edge of the wings about 9" in both top and bottom that swept with the wings tip and then added a red stripe running along the black edge at 1/2" from the black. It turned out to look way nice. I wish I had taken my own pic's of them. I was working for a guy at the FBO and he took some. That was when I was in Utah at the Parowan Airport. Maybe if the idea appeals to you, you could mock it up in a drawing ?????

Oooh, red and black on yellow just gave me an idea.........

ANGRY BIRDS scheme!! lol