• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Cheap alternative for "snakeskin" wire loom found!

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I always drool over the clean wiring installs in the build threads and planned on getting some "snakeskin" mesh tubing to organize my wiring. Looking online, the snakeskin is pretty expensive. I found the cheap version today at JoAnn Fabrics. I was wandering around the store looking for some leather to repair a holster and stumbled across this:
http://www.joann.com/search?q=mesh tubing

It is called mesh tubing and cost me $4.99 for 20 yards! Online, "snakeskin"prices start at about $0.35 per foot and go up from there!

I bought black, but it comes in multiple colors. It is 8mm (0.31 ft) diameter and easily allows for Futaba servo plugs to slide through.

Just wanted to share the savings!!!

Last edited:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Nice find.:way_to_go:

Last time my wife drug me into JoAnn's I found a really sweet deal on a 3'x5' cutting mat. After the sale price and minus a mobile coupon I got it for $30 bucks. Was looking at them online and most places wanted over $100 bucks for one that size.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I'm not sure how it compares for this because I've never actually used the snakeskin, but it does expand and contract some. When you push it together, it expands. When you pull it apart, it contracts. I was able to work a servo extension through a section of it without much hassle, the plug end was slightly larger than the I.D. of the tubing, so I had to expand and contract it to get it through. If you are making your own servo leads, this stuff would be even more awesome!

SleepyC

150cc
That stuff really does not offer abrasion resistance though.
I get this stuff for my AV rigs... Can hardly cut it with a knife... protects besides just looking good:

Screen Shot 2015-07-08 at 11.26.45 AM.png

McMaster Carr

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
@SleepyC , I agree with you about needing something more substantial for fuel lines or wires in an abusive environment. I would use the stuff you use in front of the firewall or on wires exposed outside the fuselage. But this will protect your wires if it holds them in place so they are not flopping around and rubbing on everything. My servo wires going to my tail servos just flop around inside the fuselage for the most part and over time I'm sure the frames could wear through them. Plus, it looks sloppy when you look back there and just see wires hanging loosely.

Ultimately, I'm more interested in the wiring being more organized and looking nice, I've never actually had a wire wear through. Just thought I would share this for anyone who just wants to clean up the interior of their plane a little bit cheaper than some of the other options that have been discussed here.

Visiting in ND this week so I checked out the local JoAnn store they were selling out as they aren't carrying any longer was marked 2.97 but at till it came up at .97 ... Have enough to last a while . I agree it is just for cosmetic reasons but it will neaten up some installs