• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Byron's Origional Airshow Memories!

SleepyC

150cc
Frank Noll posted some pics from his days at the Byron's Original Airshow on FB...
The concrete area in front of the runway was filled with water at the time (now concrete), and they had boat replicas with people in them driving that would shoot at the planes.
4.jpg

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

And I remembered this video...

Wish I could have seen this.

Anyone have any personal memories?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
great find Steve, I remember reading about those shows in the magazines way back when

would have never thought at the time that Byron Originals wouldn't survive.....why did Byron stop making kits?

Last edited:

SleepyC

150cc
@Bartman I think the airshows stopped because one of the full scale "tora tora tora" pilots crashed and that ended it all. Not sure why the Byron linage stopped.

Anyone?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Byron was an awesome show. Byron Godberson was a pretty eccentric guy that had a really awesome layout. His house was amazing right down to the moat. His full scale hanger at the municipal airport was really something. It had a map of the world of about Columbus's time in the floor made with tiles. There was a room off to the side with a throne. There was a lake next door with a 1/3rd scale HMS Bounty floating in it.

I was there a few times. I don't remember what years, but the last year for me was 1989. The reason I remember that year was we flew into Sioux City airport and the scars and burn marks were still fresh on the runway from the crash of DC-10 flight 232.

The show itself was cool. The Striking Back show had to be seen to be believed. The B29 was awesome and flew pretty well. They had a B17 one year we were there too. My personal favorites were the B25's, they really flew great and looked cool in the air.

The ducted fans in those days were marginal best. The Byron ones flew okay, but when we saw the first Bob Violett models fly there it was amazing. Bob was pitted down at the far end of the runway, and you could tell the Byron folks weren't very happy that they were getting blown away in the performance area. We spent a lot of time talking to him and looking at his airplanes. This was before he was a big deal, and he spent a lot of time showing us things.

The Byron folks really knew how to put on a show and take care of the spectators.

I have a few photo albums of pictures from then. I'll scan some in the next few days and post some.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Way too cool. I was 12 years old and just starting to discover hobby quality R/C cars when that video was shot. Guess it was the Joe Nall of it's day?

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Byron was an awesome show. Byron Godberson was a pretty eccentric guy that had a really awesome layout. His house was amazing right down to the moat. His full scale hanger at the municipal airport was really something. It had a map of the world of about Columbus's time in the floor made with tiles. There was a room off to the side with a throne. There was a lake next door with a 1/3rd scale HMS Bounty floating in it.

I was there a few times. I don't remember what years, but the last year for me was 1989. The reason I remember that year was we flew into Sioux City airport and the scars and burn marks were still fresh on the runway from the crash of DC-10 flight 232.

The show itself was cool. The Striking Back show had to be seen to be believed. The B29 was awesome and flew pretty well. They had a B17 one year we were there too. My personal favorites were the B25's, they really flew great and looked cool in the air.

The ducted fans in those days were marginal best. The Byron ones flew okay, but when we saw the first Bob Violett models fly there it was amazing. Bob was pitted down at the far end of the runway, and you could tell the Byron folks weren't very happy that they were getting blown away in the performance area. We spent a lot of time talking to him and looking at his airplanes. This was before he was a big deal, and he spent a lot of time showing us things.

The Byron folks really knew how to put on a show and take care of the spectators.

I have a few photo albums of pictures from then. I'll scan some in the next few days and post some.

That's awesome Doug! You were on the cutting edge of R/C aviation way back in the day. Thanks for sharing your first hand experience. Looking forward to those old school pics.:way_to_go:

SleepyC

150cc

PLEASE POST THE PICS!!! PLEASE!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Before my time in RC but people alwasy talk about it. Sucky part is that was within driving distance when I was younger and spending all my money working on cars:msn_slap:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Another thing that comes to mind about the last trip to Byron. My flying buddy Tony that I went with back then and still fly with today has always dressed like mister GQ. One night while we were in Sioux City we went to I think it was a Hardee's and he was wearing a pink Polo shirt. People starred at him like he had three heads. I still give him crap about it to this day. ;)