• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Bud Nosen (!!!) 1/4 Scale Citabria Build! Woo hoo!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Opposite side turned out better

Attachments

• 1548453703030361191026.jpg
    1548453703030361191026.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 474

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Last night we had a little event in the shop. While the epoxy was curing on the brace I put in before heading to bed, the fuselage slipped off the music stand that was holding it and did a nosedive into the floor, straight down. The front half of the fuselage held up pretty well but the built up truss rear half of the fuselage broke apart from the impact. A big chunk of it broke off and must have twanged itself pretty good before breaking into pieces on the floor.

I was able to glue it all together and reinforced the joints with some balsa but I think it's crooked now so I'm going to have to go over it tomorrow. It's only coming up now because I tried to check the wing alignment tonight and it's off where I'm pretty sure it was dead one yesterday. If it needs to be cut apart and fixed it might be another year before you start seeing updates again because I have a **** ton of other stuff that I want to get to work on! I'll check it all out tomorrow sometime and try to decide what to do. If it isn't too bad then I'll just plow ahead. If it's going to need surgery then it's going to the end of the line and we'll pick it up some other time.

:ugh!::ugh!::ugh!:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
The centers all still line up pretty well from the wing LE to the tail so that's good. I got the front wing dowels in this morning and the blocks for the rear wing bolts are currently curing. I also installed a 3/4"x1/4" spruce stiffener along the wing saddle and that might have pushed the tail back in the direction that it needed to go so when the epoxy is cured and I can measure again it might be closer than it looked when I posted last night. It was about dead on when I first measured a couple of days ago and then was off by 1/4" last night measuring the wing tips to the tail.

The airplane is almost past the point where I'll have to keep improvising stuff for mounting the wings and once I'm following the plans again it'll go more quickly. I'll also be back to working with balsa and CA glue so maybe the fuselage will be done this week.

Thanks for the support! Getting this project going again has sucked and I just want to get moving with the next one, and then the next one, and the one after that! I've got a little backlog going. lol

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
The wing saddle was supposed to have two plywood rails for the center section to bolt to and when I left those off the area had a slight bow and it looked like it wasn't going to be strong enough. To fix it I added spruce rails on each side and it straightened out the wing saddles and made it a lot stronger. It would have been nice if I had incorporated those spruce rails into the plywood at the front of the wing mount but I didn't so there's some mismatched parts there but that's ok, we're making progress.

The plywood plate for the wing to bolt to is set into the fuselage sides
IMG_20190126_152857622.jpg

IMG_20190126_203245941.jpg

More balsa gets glued over the frame to bring the areas around the windows to a close. They get glued on and then sanded (and sanded) so they taper to about a sixteenth of an inch at the top. It neatens everything up which is nice to finally see

IMG_20190126_203305217.jpg

And some bench flying for the night.
IMG_20190126_205304165.jpg

Last edited:

TonyHallo

150cc
I see the Eagle wing in the background, I have a 34% Frank Knoll design, it's a workout to fly, I don't why but it is. What scale is your's and how does it fly. Another flyer told me he experienced the same. Just wondering if you do as well.
The kit was bought at flee market for $150, what a bargain. 13 years old now.

Attachments

• 000_0146.JPG
    000_0146.JPG
    577.8 KB · Views: 429

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi Tony,
That's a beautiful Eagle you've got there! Mine is the 1/3 scale Great Planes version. I was at a swap meet last year trying to promote our club and the guy at the table behind ours brought it in. $75, no engine, and four wing servos with an extra cowl that was brand new!!! So I bought it before he could bring the wings into the building and then a couple of months later came across a guy that needed a cowl and sold him my extra one for $45! It was missing the I-struts and @acerc was nice enough to send me an outline of his so it's all set to go, just need to take it out for a maiden flight. Maybe later this spring.

Yours is nicer though! :yesss:

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I see the Eagle wing in the background, I have a 34% Frank Knoll design, it's a workout to fly, I don't why but it is. What scale is your's and how does it fly. Another flyer told me he experienced the same. Just wondering if you do as well.
The kit was bought at flee market for $150, what a bargain. 13 years old now.

Hi Tony,
That's a beautiful Eagle you've got there! Mine is the 1/3 scale Great Planes version. I was at a swap meet last year trying to promote our club and the guy at the table behind ours brought it in. $75, no engine, and four wing servos with an extra cowl that was brand new!!! So I bought it before he could bring the wings into the building and then a couple of months later came across a guy that needed a cowl and sold him my extra one for $45! It was missing the I-struts and @acerc was nice enough to send me an outline of his so it's all set to go, just need to take it out for a maiden flight. Maybe later this spring.

Yours is nicer though! :yesss:

Have to agree. Nice Eagle! What's your power up front? I flew the GP 1/3 scale like Bart's with a Saito 300 twin. Plenty of power and it flew great but you could not fly it too slow and landings had to be "hot" with a nice long run way. Flew very much like a heavy war bird.