• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

BRICO 43A Pin Flag Switch

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Brico Sw.jpg
IMG_2057.JPGIMG_2058.JPGIMG_2067.JPGIMG_2060.JPGIMG_2064.JPGIMG_2069.JPGIMG_2072.JPG

This is a Pin-Flag Switch made from a UK company called BRICO. Here is the Mfgr's Website:

http://www.brico.co.kr/item.php?it_id=14

I bought mine from DL Engines Australia for $32.73 USD with $15.10 shipping to AK. Took 12 days.

http://www.dlenginesaustralia.com/dlshop/electronics/high-current-pin-flag-switch.html

As you can tell from the pictures, I took the liberty of taking it apart and looking at the quality of the electronics, also to see if it would handle the vibration of a gasser.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I have always wondered how these pin-flags work. Couldn't seem to find a whole lot of info, so I took this one apart - as you can see from the pictures. This one is pretty simple really.

They used a Cliff DC power plug-in FC-681473 that has a 2.1mm Pin socket. They machined a piece of stainless/plated steel to fit inside the socket that created an electrical short across the pin and tab. The actual switching is done by a N-Type Transistor IRFP150N rated at 44A. Once the pin is removed, the transistor re-directs the power. The LED is wired in parallel and the Pin Socket is eliminated from the circuit. So in flight the only thing that could go wrong is the transistor essentially (unless the pin flag socket vibrates apart and shorts).

I would have liked to see some support for the wiring & electronics. There is a small amount of adhesive on the transistor, and clear heat shrink on the 18 gauge wires. I ended up adding silicone to the vibration prone areas with regards to a gasser and heat dissipation within the unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
So the question remains... would you guys trust it in a 30cc bird? Is it a better choice than a slider switch or toggle switch (like miracle)?

I was trying to find a single switch for one Rx battery while using a IBEC for the IGN.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
By the way I have used the pin and flag method on a 50cc EF Extra 300 and it was rock solid. Loved it and will use the method again in the future.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
By the way I have used the pin and flag method on a 50cc EF Extra 300 and it was rock solid. Loved it and will use the method again in the future.

I'm not sure what to think yet. It's nice to eliminate a mechanical connection such as a throw switch, but at the same rate... the HD switches now days doesn't seem to be a weak link at all. The Booma switch is pretty nice having the redundant battery with iso protection... but when I look at this BRICO version... the wiring seems a bit primitive, I would like to think I could make this one a lot smaller with better quality products... I just don't want to go experimental on myself! ha! Probably overthinking it!