• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bowed Carden 40% wing panel

Looking for some other pro advice. I have a pretty good idea on how this needs to be repaired. Heres to hoping that [MENTION=519]Fixed Wing[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1103]Windecker[/MENTION] chime in with some good advice. I have followed Dean's builds for years and I know Will personally, quite well.

My good buddy [MENTION=248]Wobs[/MENTION] suffered a mid air last month with his primary IMAC machine. He knew Im rather good with a covering iron, so we chatted about me covering his new wing. The guy who covered the airplane, didn't like how Rob built the original wings. So, there was another set of wings bought, built and covered. This was 3 years ago. Now, the time has come to cover this wing panel, and I always look down the LE of the wing, and this time, I seen something I didn't like. Laid the panel on my table, top side down. Sure enough. It had a bow in it. About the center of the span, it has roughly 1/8" to 3/16". I them checked the bottom side of the wing, and from the tip into the root, it shows a little over 1/4". Knowing if these were straight to start with is something I do not know.

Here is my idea..... Dampen the wing, top and bottom. Place the wing in a foam shuck and throw some weight on the panel and let it dry for a period of 24-48 hrs. But I'm also concerned about once I apply covering, that the heat will reinstate some of the bow....

17071=11716-20140910_202350.jpg
17071=11716-20140910_202350.jpg

SleepyC

150cc
I'm no expert but I think if you get it straight, remember the side that was bowed and cover the other side first nice and tight. Let it set for a few hours and then cover the bowed side.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
are there spars in the wing? If so that is probably going to be your biggest issue because you will have a heck of a hard time trying to get the spar to straighten.

I would start by cutting off the leading and trailing edge. Figure out a way to hold it just past straight and glue the LE and TE back on.

Unfortunately I think your in for a new set of cores but you have nothing to loose right now other than time. If you have shucks you need to make sure they are true. If they are original that may be where the bow came from. Cutting the leading edge is a great idea and should relieve some of the stiffness. An issue I can think of is you may have a problem with the glue used to bond the sheeting to the foam. Its probably not very flexible. Its going to be like trying to shrink one side of the wing and lengthen the other. Shrinking the covering probably will work while its indoors but it probably will stretch once out in the sun. You may even put an additional twist into it.

I guess the question is how does it fly with the current wings? You may be doing a lot of work for nothing other than a visual observation.

Do-rag

100cc
Bunky F. Knuckle;17180 wrote: Unfortunately, not that well......

The airplane flew perfectly prior to the mid air.

I bought a 40% Carden edge that went through a tree at Joe Nall and the wing looked like that. They pieced on the end of a good core and patched the sheeting. I flew it for several years like that before I sold the plane. Not sure if they placed a spar between the two pieces of cores or not. I will see if I can get up with the guy who did the repair tomorrow and find out.