• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

BlackHorse SU26m 55cc COG problem

aviator2002

New to GSN!
Ye of little faith??
I had the engine running this afternoon so hopefully sometime during the week I will get it maidened.
My problem now is I have just changed my car from a Saab 95 estate to a Landrover Freelander and it might be a struggle to fit the SU26 in as it has a fixed tailplane and all my other large models have removable tailplane halves which makes things a lot easier. Time will tell:facepalm:

Yes, they plane arrived without landing gear (it was supposed to be aluminium, which I thought would be too weak anyway) so I replaced with an old carbon UC that was left over from an old Edge ... it is a liitle on the small side !l

I fit mine into my Ford Focus Hatchback !

aviator2002

New to GSN!
Well today I finally got round to test flying my Sukhoi, the flight was ok but as I suspected when I was assembling the model the hinges to the tailplane and ailerons are not the best and allowed quite a bit of slop in the linkage. This showed up more on the test flight with the elevators giving a not so positive action causing the model to climb or dive more than the input would have allowed so I am now in the process of changing the elevator hinges for Robart ones. Those fitted to the kit as supplied are tongues with a rod going the full length of the elevators but the alignment holes are not accurately drilled to a close tolerance and the rod used was of aluminium so problems were going tom happen sooner or later.
Once I have completed the tail hinges I will fly it again and see what difference it has made as I wasn`t completely sure if I am slightly tail heavy as the landing resulted in a bounce and the model seemed reluctant to sink into a landing flair and once down it wouldn`t have taken much to have her airbourne again so I am hoping that a more positive elevator will help here.
Once I have completed the mods and got things sorted this will be a fine flying model going on my maiden flight which with the sloppy linkages was completey controllable and enjoyable really but just needs the mods doing to make it really enjoyable and give the confidence that perhaps wasn`t there today?:cool:
Hopefully someone will be around to video the next flight for me so that I can post it.

Attachments

• Su29 test 2.jpg
    Su29 test 2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 317
  • Su29 test 3.jpg
    Su29 test 3.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 319
  • Su29 test 4.jpg
    Su29 test 4.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 332
  • Su29 test 5.jpg
    Su29 test 5.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 322
  • Su29 test.jpg
    Su29 test.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 353
Last edited by a moderator:
Great to see that it flew OK (ish).. my pal Nigel had issues with the landing gear as well (mine didn't have a UC and I put an old carbon fibre one on. It was way to far back for the COG, so he moved it a few inches forward. The mounting for the UC is also very weak for a plane of this size. Pilot do a much better job with an aluminium angle bolted onto the fuselage, and the UC bolted onto this as well. Almost impossible to shift...

aviator2002

New to GSN!
[video]https://youtu.be/mdSw5xR0Zh0[/video]

This is a video I managed to get taken for me on the Sukhoi`s 2nd flight. Unfortunately after some trouble uploading the video from my camera to my pc I lost the sound. My pc doesn`t have the firewire connection that I used on my old computer so now have to use a USB dongle affair which lowers the quality and has somehow lost the sound but I am working on it to try and get the sound back. Hope you like the video which is not the best quality and the chap who filmed for me is not used to my camers. The flight went very well and the model is very smooth and predictable to fly with nice safe landing characteristics and I am looking forward to getting many more flights out of it.:popcorn: