• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

bizarre issue with airplane

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Lemme see if I can explain this. .. when at full throttle or 5/8 throttle my rudder servoes twitch usually to the left, thus doesn't happen when the plane is not running, engine off, 1/4 throttle or anywhere else except full throttle.
Have.. re bound system.
Have... pluggef in one satellite at a time.
Have... checked for rf noise, loose or touching metal to metal , frays etc @ sparkbox.
Have... disconnected telemetry and fromeco dc up.
Have pulled my hair out and beat my brain up chasing this problem.
Anyone else have this occurrence and if so what was the problem.

Next... ill be swapping out the matchbox and changing the RX to see if this solves anything.
Possible issue w dx8 ? Some kind of channell jumping? And yes all mixes throttle to rudder and likewise off at this point.
Help! Fresno IMAC is in two weeks!

First, check against another model. If the problem persists, then you may have found your problem. It is probably the rudder pot in the radio.

If the problem does not follow to the next airplane, then you have some troubleshooting to do. Possible servo, Rx, match box etc........ It could even be a servo extension.

hbollier

70cc twin V2
One of our club members had a plane getting ready to maiden, but when he throttled it up the right flaps dropped. He tracked it down to a loose connection. Maybe one of the pins in a connection is loose.

IMAC FANATIC

Checked every connection for continuity and fit. All good there, most connections are heat shrinked or clipped.

Ill try cross checking against another airplane, it is an older dx8. Thanks guys, thanks bunky.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
I've seen this on planes twice. Years ago with metal to metal connection on throttle servo. Recently, bad battery negative, probably causing some grounding issue.

have you tried using one rudder servo at a time to see if its happening? bad Y-cord, bad servo leads to each and or a bad servo

Try using the same set up on the bench with a different RX, batteries and servos,,, does it still do the same thing?,,, if yes is the answer I will say its your TX rudder pot taking a dump on you.

IMAC FANATIC

Seems to be still happening at throttle up posotionw, servoes are fine.
Going to try to make it happen on different model tomorrow. All leads connected and tear free. Thinking to switch out IM unit for jr matchbox if I cant duplicate it on another model.
Actually hoping its a servo pot since ive been wanting to upgrade anyways. LOL. Till tomorrow.

IMAC FANATIC

Another thing that was noticed.
Yhe tm100 telemetry unit was flashing on- off on the TX and the problem " seemed" to not happen with only the A satellite plugged in, note, the A satellite is the one closest to the sparkbox, that will be re arranged to rearmost placement, but you'd think that one would pick up rf the most.
Suggestions/ ideas?

just make the remote antennas are positioned to form a "+" or a "X" and you'll be ok and then rebind. After that next flight plug in the data logger to see how they are performing.

Pull the plug on your TM unit, for testing purposes.

On your remotes......... Any orientation that does not follow what your Rx shows is good. I like setting 1 at a 45 on the side of the fuse, 1 at 45 on the bottom of the fuse and then 1 horizontal above the wing tube or on the fuse side.. Gives me the best piece of mind.