• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel Yak 55

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Fella's,

As I mentioned in another thread, I will soon be in possession of a Bill Hempel 35% Yak 55 airframe in the blue and white scheme. I was supposed to go pick it up on Sunday, but I was held up too long in Florence SC on Saturday and I was whipped by the time I got home.

The engine I'm going to use is the 3Dub 100 got from @Bartman. The engine is going to take a little vacation to go see the G Man for an updated reed block assembly, a new HV ignition system and the carburetor gone through. I will probably send it off in a week or so. I lucked out as the plane was originally flown with a DA-100, so the old 3Dub will bolt right up. It will also be more than enough power for the 26-28 pound Yak.

@pawnshopmike is going to hook me up with some MKS servos and I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform. I am going to use MKS DS1220's on all of the control surfaces and even though the plane is set up for two rudder servo's, I am currently planning on just using one. The DS1220's are rated for 422 oz./in. of torque at 6.6 volts, which should be plenty for my aerobatic style of flying. I am also thinking about adding some bling to the plane in the form of some White Rose Wheels and maybe a tail wheel too. B&E Graphics also makes a pretty nice graphics package I am considering.

It is going to be a very exciting time for me at the flying field this coming Spring given the amount of fun I had last year flying my mini "Baby". I've read everything I can find on the Bill Hempel Yak and from what I've seen, it is not only an excellent flying airframe, it is also quite close to scale in outline which is always a plus in my book. This thing should be a blast to fly.

Of course I am open to any and all suggestions or any advise you gentlemen want to offer, as this is my first "true" giant scale plane. I will post some pictures of the airframe when I get home Sunday afternoon.

This is a little off topic, but I have one question. What's up with most you guys changing your avatar's? I came home Saturday night, opened up GSN and I didn't recognize allot of you fellas. . . . . . :laughing:. I will likely change mine too, but not until my Yak is finished.

Good night Fella's, its past my bedtime. . . . . . :sleepy:

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
You are going to love your yak. I bought a rtf 35% yak 54 11-12 years ago and never looked back. Stable, easy to fly and land but with the right pilot capable of lots of high energy maneuvers. After it's demise I went home and mailed it's 3W-106 in for service and ordered my next yak that day.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Congratulations David!! Sounds like a well thought out plan for your new acquisition.
I know a guy who has a 3 blade prop which would look fabulous on that Yak.
And with a blue spinner to match. :yesss:
Hey @WMcNabb,

Let me think about that one. I will want to fly the Yak with a 2 blade prop first. In all the years I've been flying, I've never run a 3 blade prop on a plane.

Thanks Buddy. . . . . :way_to_go:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice plane keep us informed. Looks like you have most of the hardware sorted out and a nice engine. If it is your first 100cc plane it will be exciting for you this spring, take your time and enjoy it.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Does bill hemple still sell planes
@Michael Grossman

Bill's website still appears to be functioning. I just pretended to order a Yak55 and when I selected it, my Paypal account opened to pay for the plane. I'm not really computer savy and that may just be a function of Paypal. You can go to Bill Hempel.com and see if you can get in contact with him. Wish I could help you more.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Nice plane keep us informed. Looks like you have most of the hardware sorted out and a nice engine. If it is your first 100cc plane it will be exciting for you this spring, take your time and enjoy it.
Hey @Snoopy1,

Yeah, I think I have everything pretty much lined up except for a receiver and maybe servo arms. Other than the rudder arm, I don't recall if I will get the plane with the other servo arms or not. Guess I'll have to wait until Sunday to find out. Oh yeah, I need a prop too. I will probably go with a wood prop to start. Yes, this is my first 35% plane and I am REALLY starting to get excited. . . . . :yesss:. Of course, as my luck would have it, I am swamped with work for about the next month so I am not going to have allot of time to work on it. Oh well, Se la vie.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Take your time if busy for whatever reason take the time you need to do it properly. Just trying to help but one of my biggest obstacles I had when moving up in scale was landing the plane. The plane is so much bigger and it felt like I was flying at my head, I had a tendency to land to far away from me.