• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Been working on my harriers... Question.

Sometimes the plane settles in and is rock solid and other times I have issues with wing rock. I was wondering if some could explain in detail what is going on with the airframe in harrier so that I can better learn to stop it from happening.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I have this same problem sometimes. My friend suggested using a little more elevator and add throttle. It helped me out a lot.

Ken-H

Centerpunchit!
averagebrunette;10100 wrote: Sometimes the plane settles in and is rock solid and other times I have issues with wing rock. I was wondering if some could explain in detail what is going on with the airframe in harrier so that I can better learn to stop it from happening.

Wind, attitude, and just being on that day. They all rock, and it takes time to get the feel and get locked in. Crosswinds will require a little more effort sometimes. Roll it inverted and you'll see how much easier they with that rudder facing down and in clean air. The Edge looks in at about any and attitude while the Extra can lock in the same, it tends to have more of a sweet spot.

Ken-H

Centerpunchit!
I should have added that reason for the rock is one side or the other is trying to fly again instead of being fully stalled. You need to counter with ailerons and attitude i.e. higher angle of attack. It all comes with practice.

yakken

100cc
Burn fuel and you will get rid of it. I hardly harrier anymore and I noticed the other day that I was out of practice from doing rollers and torque rolls so much that I had a lot of wing rock in a harrier. It took me two flights to find the sweet spot again.

ryan_m

100cc
Watch the use of the rudder too. Overuse of the rudder will cause a wing to dip, and then you correct and can start some rocking. So ease up on rudder, especially in the turns. Maybe bump up your rudder expo about 10-15%, unless you are already over 60%, if that's the case just concentrate on being smooth with it.

Lotsa flying time, Jazzy. Lotsa flying time! ;) We will work on that in October, when I come visit. I think I'll only bring the 330SC and the heli.

An Edge shouldn't show alot of wing rock. I would tend to think that an Extra or Yak would show more rock than the Edge. Peg the elevator stick back on 3D rate and use a little throttle to maintain your altitude.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Depending on the plane, it can be child pay, or it may take a little finesse work.

Like Ken mentioned, key is to have both wings completely stalled: the most common issue I see with people learning to harrier, is the "fear" of throwing full elevator when going slow, although it is the way to get a stable and predictable harrier.

Wing rock, besides possible wind gusts or external factors making it difficult, comes from the wings"un-stalling".

The Edges are probably the easiest to harrier. Your 100cc Extra takes a little more finesse, but can do some other things better.

rcpilotacro

70cc twin V2
SFG and vortex generators help. Basically airflow shouldn't breakaway from the wings too early. People keep giving bursts of throttle if you notice. That small bursts gives the necessary airflow (by preventing early separation of airflow, and propwash)

Airtime is a must and no substitute to that.