• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Balsa USA Camel F1

Tseres

150cc
This is a little Early to start a winter Build Thread. What Can I say. I got the kit in the mail yesterday. I won't have the time to start on it till sometime in October or maybe even November. I figure what the heck why not the kit is Here and I have the engine on the shelf.

The criteria for this build was that I had to find something with a Round Cowl. The reason for this is that the ZP-38 on the shelf has a side carb and rear exhaust. That set up is better suited for an inverted mount. Most of the WWI planes need the engine cylinder standing up because of the crank location of the scale planes. I also wanted an Allied plane. I just couldn't find one that I liked. Then I saw an Add for a Camel F1 from BUSA. I did a search and stumbled upon The Royal Naval Air Service and their planes. I saw a brightly colored plane that I didn't know the Allies had. Had Red and white stripes on the nose. Caught my eye right away. I said if that is a real scheme then that's the plane I want to build.

I'm fortunate when it comes to building WWI planes. I don't know anything about them. To me . Half the fun of building a scale plane is the research that goes along with it. I often find things in history that I didn't know about. This is where the research starts. I'll be ordering a book on the Royal Naval Air Service 10th Squadron and well know more by the time we start building.

This is it. Start putting your two cents in. I'm open to any stories about WWI or the 10th Squadron.

This is the plane I'm intending to model.

14605=8316-ParallelsLARGE.jpg
14605=8316-ParallelsLARGE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tseres

150cc
Here is the Box of Wood.

14610=8320-DSC_0036.jpg
14610=8320-DSC_0036.jpg
14610=8319-DSC_0037.jpg
14610=8319-DSC_0037.jpg
14610=8318-DSC_0038.jpg
14610=8318-DSC_0038.jpg
14610=8317-DSC_0039.jpg
14610=8317-DSC_0039.jpg

Tseres

150cc
Here is the engine that is sitting on the shelf. I originally bought it for My Fokker D-VII but changed my mind. Now I bought the kit to fit the Engine.

14612=8321-DSC_0065.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tseres

150cc
For those of you that never seen it. The F1 is going to go to events with this plane my first ever WW-I plane.

thepamster

70cc twin V2
Ok this is me subbing to thread and at the same time making machine gun noises. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
So am I, Tom you are a craftsman if there ever were one!!! I almost started my Winter build thread the other night, but I have to draw the plans yet so I'll hold off for a few more weeks.

Can't wait to see it come together!

Tseres

150cc
thepamster;14631 wrote: Ok this is me subbing to thread and at the same time making machine gun noises. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'm just jealous of all your biplanes and just trying to keep up. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I think your machineguns fire to fast for WWI. :)

Tseres

150cc
Terryscustom;14637 wrote: So am I, Tom you are a craftsman if there ever were one!!! I almost started my Winter build thread the other night, but I have to draw the plans yet so I'll hold off for a few more weeks.

Can't wait to see it come together!

I can't wait to see your winter build. If I had your equipment I would love to do a scrath build. I just don't want to mess with a band saw and belt sander for half the wintenter. LOL. Maybe some day.