• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Super Cub Kit " NIB "

camss69

70cc twin V2
Thanks, it's fun to fly on calm days, when there's a lot of wind it's kind of a handful on the ground with the full size wing. On a calm day shooting full flap touch and go's is a blast. Last time I had it out I think I flew it 4 times because the conditions were so good. I'd love to see it on floats, maybe someday. I'll go get a pic of the floats for you if you're interested. I had construction pics but I can't seem to find them but it looked just like yours does. Great job!

I see you added wing tubes to yours, mine just has the wing bolts and dowels and then the struts are functional. It's kind of a pain to put together, we made a wing support out of pvc pipe and that will hold the wing tip up so I can put it together by myself at the field. Usually it gets a lot of attention when I take it out and people are eager to help.

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Thanks, it's fun to fly on calm days, when there's a lot of wind it's kind of a handful on the ground with the full size wing. On a calm day shooting full flap touch and go's is a blast. Last time I had it out I think I flew it 4 times because the conditions were so good. I'd love to see it on floats, maybe someday. I'll go get a pic of the floats for you if you're interested. I had construction pics but I can't seem to find them but it looked just like yours does. Great job!

I see you added wing tubes to yours, mine just has the wing bolts and dowels and then the struts are functional. It's kind of a pain to put together, we made a wing support out of pvc pipe and that will hold the wing tip up so I can put it together by myself at the field. Usually it gets a lot of attention when I take it out and people are eager to help.

Yea, it'd be great to see the photos of the floats. for sure! This thing is definitely going to be a beast with the big wheels and everything. I have a EME 70 Twin for it. That should be enough power. What's in yours?

I did add wing tubes. So for right now the holes in the ribs are over-sized. Once I complete the struts I will assemble everything at the correct dihedral and use some plywood rings to glue the outer tubes in place. At least that's the theory. haha! I read a lot about it before the build and I know it takes away from the scale a little bit, but I don't want to have to baby it. I'm building it to fly so there's definitely some functionality that I'm taking from my big aerobatic planes and incorporating them into this one. Another example is the elevator and rudder servos. They're much closer to the surfaces than the kit design.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Here's a pic of the floats hanging on the wall. If I lived closer to somewhere I could float fly the plane I'm sure I'd put the floats on it. Mine has a D&B 5.1 (83cc) engine in it and it fits except for the spark plug caps. It has plenty of power, a 70 would easily fly the plane. Take off and landing rollouts are about 4ft.

http://www.dandbengines.com/db51.html

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 427

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Here's a pic of the floats hanging on the wall. If I lived closer to somewhere I could float fly the plane I'm sure I'd put the floats on it. Mine has a D&B 5.1 (83cc) engine in it and it fits except for the spark plug caps. It has plenty of power, a 70 would easily fly the plane. Take off and landing rollouts are about 4ft.

http://www.dandbengines.com/db51.html

The floats look great! Now you've got me thinking about it. Haha! Yea, the EME 70 was the biggest twin I could buy without the plugs sticking out... and that's one reason I chose it. I have an EME 120 on my Yak 55 and it runs great, so I'm definitely a fan of those engines as well, but I definitely checked dimensions for a twin that would fit.

camss69

70cc twin V2
Here's a pic how much the spark plug caps stick out. He had this engine on his 35% Carden Yak and then decided to build this plane so he bought a DA100L for the Yak and put the D&B in the Cub. He built several sets of these floats and always complained about how much work they were.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 410

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Here's a pic how much the spark plug caps stick out. He had this engine on his 35% Carden Yak and then decided to build this plane so he bought a DA100L for the Yak and put the D&B in the Cub. He built several sets of these floats and always complained about how much work they were.

Yea, you can hardly tell. That's not much at all. Nice!

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Today was an important day in the birth of an airplane. I mounted the engine... Well, I pre-mounted it... I have to paint the firewall before mounting it permanently, but getting it mounted up set a chain of events. In front of the instrument panel there's a piece of wood that's glued permanently in place with a piece of aluminum that will go over the top. In order to keep this scale appearance I had to first mount the engine, then drill the holes for all the supporting components and then place them inside. Since I want to use the aluminum I decided to access all of this from a hatch on the bottom of the plane. Here are the first few shots... and they say "measure twice, cut once" with the engine it's measure about 20 times and drill once. Ha! My 2 degree down thrust will be achieved with washers when finally assembled.

Attachments

• IMG_4610.JPG
    IMG_4610.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_4611.JPG
    IMG_4611.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_4612.JPG
    IMG_4612.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 393

fencelake

70cc twin V2
After setting the engine I marked and drilled the holes through the firewall for the throttle rod, fuel line, and ignition cables. Once these were drilled I used a piece of sandpaper wrapped on a wooden dowel to sand the edges and hopefully prevent some wear down the line.

Attachments

• IMG_4613.JPG
    IMG_4613.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_4614.JPG
    IMG_4614.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_4615.JPG
    IMG_4615.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 374

fencelake

70cc twin V2
The next step was to mount the throttle servo using a spare servo I had lying around and a piece of wire to substitute for the final rod assembly to give me an idea of where to put it.

Attachments

• IMG_4620.JPG
    IMG_4620.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_4621.JPG
    IMG_4621.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_4629.JPG
    IMG_4629.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 394