• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help! Aura 8 setup questions

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Gentlemen would like know more about the Aura 8 and how it works. Also like to know more about some of the details in the configuration software.
Would like to deal with one at a time and work our way through it.
For example;
Rate P- Gain.
1. Believe this sets up the total sensitivity of the unit and if to high the plane will oscillate. The settings go from 0 to how high I do not know. What would be a good starting point for properly setup 3D aircraft.
2. Also believe that this P- Gain can be set up for each individual control, ie, rudder, elevator and ailerons.

Can we discuss this parameter first and then continue on.

@49dimes hope you see this and add your know how about the Aura 8. Hope you are well.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for that, I have read most of it but there are some details I can read it but I do not fully understand the effect on the plane. And if changed by this much how it will effect the plane. The two I am having difficulty with is bounce back and stick priority.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Thanks for that, I have read most of it but there are some details I can read it but I do not fully understand the effect on the plane. And if changed by this much how it will effect the plane. The two I am having difficulty with is bounce back and stick priority.

Bounce back is basically just when the gyro overcompensates when you release the stick to stop whatever movement the airplane has. So for example, if you are applying full left aileron at high speed, and release the aileron stick suddenly, the gyro will apply a sharp and quick input of right aileron to stop the roll as fast as it can. With the bounce back gain setting high, the airplane may appear to 'shimmy' or 'rock' a little bit as the gyro attempts to arrest the control input. This is where most people can 'tell' the airplane has a gyro, as the fast and sharp input of opposite control to stop movement is a typical gyro trait. The aura lets you increase or decrease it as needed.

With too low of a setting, the control input may not be arrested quick enough and the airplane may seem like it wants to 'drift' a little bit after you release control inputs- well designed airplanes won't do this at all even without a gyro. This link shows the bounceback working as the airplane stops rolling, you can see the gyro apply some left aileron real quickly:

https://gyazo.com/f498aab7ebd4e82d0c21931fbe972cdf

Stick priority basically means the gyro becomes less effective as you move your stick away from center. On Flex 3D models, the stick priority is set such that the gyro is really only working towards the center of the stick movement. This link helps explain Stick Priority a little better and gives suggestions on where to set your Stick Priority rates:

http://wiki.flexinnovations.com/wiki/Aura/FAQ#What_is_Stick_Priority_and_how_is_it_set.3F

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The stick priority I have been able to figure out thanks I found the that link and it made sense to me.
Thanks for the help on the bounce back that is the one part I am having difficulty with. Hopefully with what you have explained I can adjust it correctly when doing the testing. Thanks for taking the time to explain, hopefully when the weather improves and all this covid19 improves I can give it a try.