• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help! Anyone own the 104" AJ Slick?

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Don't know where to start this post, I'll start with the hobby side. This week has been a bust as I have ran out of mojo and desire, probably from doing so much for the last forever. But the room is ready to go when I am. Now for all the crap that has happened this week. I'll start with I fried my laptop when I hooked the battery up to the X10 for programming, plugged it in backwards which sent 7.4v through the USB port, that was last Saturday. I replaced it on Sunday and I am still setting things up, there are a lot of things to set up in one of these to make it operate as desired.
Now the even more fun stuff.
As posted prior they started the pool last Saturday and it has been a fiasco ever since. Starting with the dig Saturday and being ill prepared for the ground water the walls were caving in. Late in the day, after I voiced my concern over the foundation of my patio, they shored up that side wall. Then Monday they started trying to get things at the proper elevation, by the end of an apparently early day Wednesday I was told they were going to shoot concrete Thursday. Things did not look like they should so I grabbed a tape and commenced to measuring, hah! The shallow was suppose to be 4' and the deep 6' but was 3' and 4-1/2'. So I called the contractor and told him do not show up with concrete until it was corrected. Thursday they came and dug it out, not quite perfect but I could live with it. So they came Friday, yesterday, and started to spray the concrete and from the start nothing went right. By midnight the sub said it was done, one fella had been carted off by medics to the ER, and the wife and I was sick of them being here. So this morning I go out expecting to see this nice shell waiting for the next step only to find one thoroughly screwed up mess. I guess they will be removing this one and trying again, joy-joy. And believe me, I have been photo documenting everything.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Don't know where to start this post, I'll start with the hobby side. This week has been a bust as I have ran out of mojo and desire, probably from doing so much for the last forever. But the room is ready to go when I am. Now for all the crap that has happened this week. I'll start with I fried my laptop when I hooked the battery up to the X10 for programming, plugged it in backwards which sent 7.4v through the USB port, that was last Saturday. I replaced it on Sunday and I am still setting things up, there are a lot of things to set up in one of these to make it operate as desired.
As posted prior they started the pool last Saturday and it has been a fiasco ever since. Starting with the dig Saturday and being ill prepared for the ground water the walls were caving in. Late in the day, after I voiced my concern over the foundation of my patio, they shored up that side wall. Then Monday they started trying to get things at the proper elevation, by the end of an apparently early day Wednesday I was told they were going to shoot concrete Thursday. Things did not look like they should so I grabbed a tape and commenced to measuring, hah! The shallow was suppose to be 4' and the deep 6' but was 3' and 4-1/2'. So I called the contractor and told him do not show up with concrete until it was corrected. Thursday they came and dug it out, not quite perfect but I could live with it. So they came Friday, yesterday, and started to spray the concrete and from the start nothing went right. By midnight the sub said it was done, one fella had been carted off by medics to the ER, and the wife and I was sick of them being here. So this morning I go out expecting to see this nice shell waiting for the next step only to find one thoroughly screwed up mess. I guess they will be removing this one and trying again, joy-joy. And believe me, I have been photo documenting everything.

Wow. What a mess. Hope things turn around for you soon!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp

That sounds like one big PITA. Just hope they have not been paid. If not throw them out.

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks guys.
It has most definitely been a pain in the ass, very stressful, but hopefully the contractor will do the right thing voluntarily. Monday I will find out what he thinks and take the appropriate action.
All I know for sure is that this past year with the rebuild of the house, the patio build, the shop move, this pool crap, and nursing the in-law through the end, we have about had it. Usually when we get physically and mentally wore out we take a nice vacation but with the in-law hanging in here we can't do that. I know that sounds bad but we really, really, need to get to the mountains and chill...

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
It sucks that it's so hard sometimes to find someone that will do a job right. I've had an autobody shop for 36 years, and have been doing it for over 40. The number of big expensive shops in my area that are total butchers is mind boggling. Everyone has a project now and then that doesn't go as planned, it's how they deal with it that separates the good from the bad.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
It sucks that it's so hard sometimes to find someone that will do a job right. I've had an autobody shop for 36 years, and have been doing it for over 40. The number of big expensive shops in my area that are total butchers is mind boggling. Everyone has a project now and then that doesn't go as planned, it's how they deal with it that separates the good from the bad.
I am giving him the benefit of a doubt, until Monday anyways, in case this is that project.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I'll be, the concrete guy showed up this afternoon and started in with the pneumatic chiseling. A few hours in and that area is starting to look close to what it should, he said it would be right before they continued on. I am so relieved or uhm, a little relieved, there is still a lot to do and I have to wonder what else can go wrong. Thanks for listening gents!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I'll be, the concrete guy showed up this afternoon and started in with the pneumatic chiseling. A few hours in and that area is starting to look close to what it should, he said it would be right before they continued on. I am so relieved or uhm, a little relieved, there is still a lot to do and I have to wonder what else can go wrong. Thanks for listening gents!
It’s hard sometimes to stand back and let people do their thing and try to fix the problem. But at times people do want to do the right thing and given the chance they will.