• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Ambrosini SS-4

Larry B

70cc twin V2
All right, since there seems to be a surprising amount of interest I'll start from the very beginning of this silly project.

The first step is to find a good 3-view with as many cross sections of the fuse that you can find. With this project I am really limited and feel I was lucky to find as good of a 3- view as I did.

I like to draw my initial plans a bit on the smaller side, this one I did the plans to a span of 70". Once your initial plans are drawn it's so easy to take them to the local copy shop and get them enlarged to what ever you desire. I want to blow mine up to 1/5th scale.

I measure all my dimensions from the 3-view in 50th's of an inch, this is a nice small unit that allows accurate measurments to be taken from your 3-view but not so small that my old eyes can't see it. Any small increments will work just fine, as long as you can see them!
Now I blew up the 3-view just a bit (about double) which makes taking the measurements even easier.

Now I measured the span of my 3-view in 50th's of an inch and found it to be 772. Now I wanted my initial plans to have a span of around 70" so I take 50th's divided by 11 and that gives me a span of 70.1".
Now the cool thing is that any dimension that I take from my 3-view in 50th's I will divide by 11 and that gives me my plan size in inches. Now just draw some initial reference lines on the 3-view and start drawing, and yes it takes a while and you have to take your time or you will make mistakes. It took me about a week of spare time to get my crude drawings done.

Now from what I could find the full scale SS-4 had a span of 40' 5" which comes out to 485 total inches. So I blew my plans up to the point where the span of my drawings ended up being 97", which is 1/5th scale.

Hopefully I did not bore you all to death, or worse confuse somebody! And for you CAD guys this is the ancient way of doing this but I am not a CAD guy and have no intentions of trying to learn it. ( And yes your CAD stuff is more accurate!)

Today before work I made some progress on the plug, several of the cross sections are glued in place along with the 4"spinner area. Remember when you do the spinner area on the fuse you have to take into account any thrust angles you want to incorporate in the fiberglass fuse, this will give you a nice spinner fit when it comes time to put in the motor or engine.

Till next time, Larry B

P1010001.JPG

P1010004.JPG

Last edited:

Larry B

70cc twin V2
I almost forgot, to make the plug I just use some 1/4" plywood that I get at a lumber store. The entire thing will be made from this except for the stiffeners to keep the profile shape straight.
I buy a 4X8 sheet of the stuff and end up using almost all of it depending on how big your plug is. On this model I think I'll have some left over,
Larry B

A7.JPG

Doc

50cc
You're really a glutton for punishment, BUT! maybe this one will behave better, we sure hope so. OK I'm hooked up and will faithfully follow along. Onward Maestro.
Doc

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Hey Abe,
The only thing that remains to be seen from the Ambrosini is the grave marker from the test pilot who was killed during the second test flight. The airplane was first flown on March 7th 1939, the second flight took place on March 8th and ended in tragedy when the aileron came off in flight. I did find a photo of the head stone of Ambrogio Colombo who was the test pilot, he was laid to rest at the crash site.
So in answer to your question, there are none to be looked at.
Larry B

Colombomemorial.jpg

Last edited: