• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Ambrosini SS-4

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Well I am going off the deep end again, it's become a personal mission to build a competitive scale canard!
After deciding that the Ascender will never be a good contest model for many reasons I have had an alternate airplane in the back of my mind for several years now. The Ambrosini SS-4 is a Italian canard that had a life span of only two flights over a period of two days, it ended killing the pilot when the aileron came off in flight.
I don't know if anyone is interested in the making of a glass fuse from plug, to mold, to part or not. Today I started on the plug after having my crude plans enlarged up to 1/5th scale.
If a few of you guys are interested I'll be more than happy to give you a step by step process on how I do it, now bear in mind there are a bunch of different ways of getting a good end product. This is just the way I have found that is simple & easy for me.
Larry B

P1010001.JPG
P1010004.JPG
P1010009.JPG

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Got the plug profile stiffened up using some 1.5"X3/4" glued along each side, a notch will have to be cut out of the cross sections to accommodate this stiffener. Also I have to cut out the thickness of the profile from all of the cross sections to keep the width of the plug accurate. If you forget this step your plug will end up a 1/4" to wide.

B4.JPG
B8.JPG
C1.JPG

Larry B

70cc twin V2
AKNick,
The dual canard is really simple, the elevator is just hinged below the fixed canard surface. The idea was copied from Junkers, if you look at the Ju-87 the German built airplane did the same thing.
I have no idea what the advantage of doing this is, maybe it provides a cleaner air flow over the elevator?
Larry B

stuka-3-jpg_1399326742.jpeg

Last edited: