• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Aluminum Hardware for Landing Gear??

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Was just thinking about a spring loaded bolting system like what's used on exhaust systems to give the landing gear and gear mount a little extra give but was also thinking about aluminum bolts to stretch and deform in bad landings instead of the landing gear mount just ripping out. Thoughts?

Had a plane with nylon bolts holding the gear on but that wasn't such a good scheme.

Thanks!
Bart

pawnshopmike

Staff member
The problem I see with that method is even if it saves the gear block, it's still going to cost you a prop and the wheel pants will still knock holes in your wings.

Better approach would be a Bush Plane! :way_to_go: Something with big tires and spring loaded landing gear. Fly it for a while till you can land like a butterfly with sore feet.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I think a better method is to ensure the landing gear plate is as strong as possible and cant the gear forward to absorb shock. I tested this on a few scratch builds and it works very well. My Viper kit is 2.5 degrees forward, although I actually prefer 3-4.

I've never understood the concept of a break away gear (like Carden does) vs just building a solid structure that can take some abuse.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
that's the thing, i'm trying to think if there's an alternative to bulking up the gear mounting area. aluminum might not break away, it might stretch or bend saving the plane while using the stock gear mounting area.

canting the gear would align the loads better with the mounting plate but maybe i'll try that after it's flying if landings aren't going as well as I'd like!

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
My older Yak had aluminum landing gear. Much much more flex than my current Yak with CF landing gear. It would make a hard landing look like I was flying a Cadillac not an airplane. Your spring loading might be as simple as using aluminum landing gear.