• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

aj slick 59" (3dhs) -OR- extra mx 58" (precision aerobatics)

Buy which?!?

• Total voters

TOPFLiTE1994

New to GSN!
Currently have a PA extra 260 48" but lookin to get a 58" 3Der to throw around. which would be better? personal experience?

I like the precision and tracking of the slick but don't know how an extra mx compares? difference in weight/flight characteristics?

thanks

I like my 59 slick better. I have only flew the Extra MX once and it was great, but I guess I'm biased since I only own the Slick. The Slick isn't as aggressive IMHO, it doesn't tumble as hard but seems more stable in all maneuvers. My opinion is not highly rated as I an just learning 3d though. :rolleyes:

TOPFLiTE1994

New to GSN!
It's even crazier watching him fly in person!!
I'm simply partial to the looks of the slick plus it is supposedly the best tracking 3dhs, Just have no clue how it compares to the extra mx or which is more worth buying.

I like to fly crazy 3d but also want a plane that will be rock stable and predictable, which my 260 is not, its pretty freakin snappy actually.

ryan_m

100cc
There are a lot of good airframes in this size. I would take a serious look at the ExtremeFlight 64" MXS, many also love the 60" Extra, and I've flown both the 3dhs 58" Edge and EF 60" Edge. Those are nice for 3d planes. But you mentioned tracking, so the Extra or MXS would be more of my pick in the EF lineup.
I've flown a 58" Extra MX. I just don't care at all for PA's construction technique's, I put the MX together for a local buddy. He has owned it for over a year now and has barely ever flown it. Had serious motor and ESC issues, required sending both back to PA eventually for replacement, which took over 6 months to get done. But even once the plane is flying right he doesn't really enjoy it much. The PA planes tend to be super floaty and light. Which gets them blown around by wind and hampers their precision flying abilities. Should help low and slow 3d, but when I flew it I didn't like the way it flew there either. I really can't remember all that many specifics of why I didn't like it (was over a year ago) only that it was certainly not a plane I would want to own.
I would take a 59" Slick or 64" MXS all day long over it. The MXS has become my absolute favorite plane in this size. (It's really a 60" plane when you pull the wing tips off)