• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

A good starter or 2nd 3D plane suggestion

porcia83

30cc
One of my first planes was a 42" AJ Slick. More than I could handle, and a miracle that it lasted as many flights as it did. Once I lawn darted it, I haven't really replaced it. It's been two years now andI fly all other stuff, jets, scale stuff, Parkzone stuff etc. I love the look of some of the pattern ships, and I know they have a different look than the Edges and Extras. Are they still good for 3 D stuff?

I'd like to get another plane, and I have a chance to get a good deal on a Carbon Z. Another option is a 40 and change inch Reactor Bipe (probably the fav of all). The other thing is that I don't want to spend time building at the field, love stuff I can plug into and go. The bipe and the Z are about the same price.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

One of my first planes was a 42" AJ Slick. More than I could handle, and a miracle that it lasted as many flights as it did. Once I lawn darted it, I haven't really replaced it. It's been two years now andI fly all other stuff, jets, scale stuff, Parkzone stuff etc. I love the look of some of the pattern ships, and I know they have a different look than the Edges and Extras. Are they still good for 3 D stuff?

I'd like to get another plane, and I have a chance to get a good deal on a Carbon Z. Another option is a 40 and change inch Reactor Bipe (probably the fav of all). The other thing is that I don't want to spend time building at the field, love stuff I can plug into and go. The bipe and the Z are about the same price.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Pattern ships aren't designed for 3D, and although it can be done, it's not recommended that the novice pilot try it. 3DHS does make a hybrid pattern plane called the Super Vyper. Balanced a with a forward CG it tracks as pin point as you want it and draws some amazing lines. Push the battery to the wing tube and click to 3D rates and it'll get as nasty as you want it. Again, not really recommended for the novice pilot, but in my opinion is very tame on low rates. On high rates, it can get away from you quick. It rolls lightning fast and in any kind of tumble can get going very quickly. That's why I like mine. It's very strange to see a pattern ship laying down some sick 3D. lol. As for the Carbon Z Yak, I wouldn't waste my money. It is not very nimble at 3D. It's good for just flying around and doing sport aerobatics, but it will not handle any abuse. The biggest issue is the fuse will easily split in two behind the canopy. I have no experience with the Reactor Bipe.

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
EPP is your friend. 3DHS has 3 awesome EPP planes, as well as twisted hobbys. twisted hobbys has EPP planes from 32" to 49". If you want a balsa id suggest the 47 shp or 48 edge (both 3DHS)

njswede

150cc
I'm not sure I'm qualified to give advice, but I will, anyway. Because I can! :)

You need two things:

1) An EPP foamie 3D trainer. You absolutely need this, since you either won't dare trying new tricks on your balsa plane or you'll break them while trying. Twisted Hobbys are great (I know, because I own one) and I've heard wonderful things about the 3DHS foamies too. Pick whichever you like, but I'd stay away from the bipes for now.

2) A balsa plane you can transfer your skills to. Balsa and EPP fly different, so you'll need to continuously make sure you transfer skills to a "real" plane. This is where it gets tricky. A 40-something inch balsa 3D plane can get really twitchy, as I'm sure you have experienced with your Slick. I have a 3DHS 41" Edge, which, in my opinion, is pretty tricky to fly, because it gets out of sight quickly and can get twitchy in the wind. 3DHS and Extreme Flight are the gold standard, but if you want to get into anything larger than their smallest models, you're looking at a $500 investment. I don't know about you, but I would hate myself if I parked that in a tree or something like that. So I went with a bunch of cheap HK planes (that shall remain nameless). I had a load of fun with them, but I didn't learn much 3D, since they all had issues like wing-rock in harriers etc. Then I finally found the ValueHobby Sabre X. It's 51" 3D ship that sells for an incredible $119. To me, it's the perfect balsa 3D trainer, since it's got a super duper stable harrier. It's not as spectacular in high energy as e.g. an AJ Slick, but it's going to make you develop your 3D skills rapidly. I know, because that's what I'm doing right now.

Now, that's what's been working for me. People are different, so there's no guarantee it's the right choice for you. Just sharing my experience!

porcia83

30cc
sweet...thanks guys, appreciate it. I like the idea of those twisted hobby ones, seen one at a field and watched it bounce of ground a few times with no problem. O figured as much on the yak, it seemed heavy too, but it was a good chance at a really good deal.