• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

75" MXS from Aerobeez. First weekend in the air...

So after spending way too much time tinkering on the MXS, travelling, working long hours out of town and a million other things I volunteered Ryanm to lend a hand on getting this bird in the air. And I have to say it is a blast to fly!
Here is the setup as flown today:

5- HS 7955TG servos
Spektrum AR7000 on a DX8
Dualsky 6355DA motor
2- Mad Dog 4s 5000mAh lipos run in series for 8s
Xoar 22x10 prop and a 19x12 prop that we had
Castle Creations HV120 esc
Castle Creations BEC Pro
Custom stand offs from Cmala (great work)

Weight without lipos, spinner or wheel pants, 9lbs 14.5oz

After playing around with CG a bit we got it going pretty well. Again, thanks to Ryanm for the help. Wind was a bit strong and tossed the wings around when trying to harrier cross wind. There was a slight bit of wing rock when trying to harrier into the 7-11mph wind, but some of that was pilot error too. Once I was able to get into a harrier it wanted to lock in. Getting there with the wind was not the easiest, but a little tweaking on the rudder expo might help that too.
The KE was very nice and will likely require just a few bumps of up elevator in both directions mixed into the rudder, but there seems to be minimal, if any, roll corrections to be made. The tumbles are more violent than I expected for a plane of this size (it is my first in the 70" size) and it falls into a crankshaft maneuver really well! The up line to tumble to KE spin is geat with lots of violence! It flattens out at the bottom like a champ. Snap rolls are good, speed is almost too good since the weight makes it not want to bleed speed like I am used to with other planes. That made landing a bit of a challenge, but after 5-6 flights it was no big deal. The cross wind didn't help either.

Complaints are minimal. First, a different way of mounting the cowl would be nice for us electric guys. If you are cutting on it to install a gas engine it is likely not going to be an issue. I would like to see a bit of weight savings in the balsa department. It is a bit overbuilt in the front of the fuse. Again, that might be due to it being designed around a 30cc gas engine. Maybe I will find more in the future, but honestly it is a great flyer. I love my 3dhs and EF planes, but will be adding more of these birds in the future. Another club member where I fly is getting ready to maiden his 30cc Edge and I hope to get some stick time on it as well to see how it does on gas. Until then, here are a few pics I shot today.
Thanks! :flyer:

Attachments

• leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,159
  • overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 310
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 319
  • rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 292
  • topview1.jpg
    topview1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 308
  • topview2.jpg
    topview2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 330
Glad to hear that the plane flies really well, looking forward to getting mine in the air. I think the things like the lower cowl mounting tabs and the cut out battery/fuel tank tray on the version i have would fix the complaints you have.