• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

50cc ultimate wing modification

Bradysfree

New to GSN!
I have an aeroworks 50cc ultimate 20-300 running a DLE 55. first let me say I love the plane. It is well constructed and the color scheme is one of the best factory color schemes I've ever seen. the only weakness I found is how the Wings are joined. I noticed the ultracote separating on the top wing I suppose from - g maneuvers so I tore the wings down and installed Hardwood spars + beefed up the 2 bottom wing front connecting rods from the 1/4 inch wooden dowels to 3/8 inch aluminum rods. total weight gain was about a pound. I've had absolutely no problems since the modification and a pound is a pretty cheap price for peace of mind.I was wondering if the factory was aware of this weakness and if so how they Addressed it in later models? I took pictures and documented the wing rebuild in case you'd like to see how it was done.

Thanks, Brady

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
The issue was heavily discussed in a couple threads on another giant scale forum :rapture:. I suffered the fate that many others did, and the best Aeroworks was able to do was offer a discount on a replacement. I too loved the way it flew, and was extremely disappointed when I saw the wing split and see the lack of glue (not) holding it together. I don't know that they changed the production on the plane, which is a pity. That extra pound is the best pound on that plane!

Bradysfree

New to GSN!
Man I'm sorry to hear that. I know the feeling of watching a plane you love come apart in the air, totally helpless

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
worse when you discover it was due to poor glue job from a respectable manufacturer, and even worse when said manufacturer knows of the weakness but doesn't improve on it.

AeroWorks

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hello Brady,

I would like to Thank You for looking over your wing and making the modifications to help improve the strength and life of your plane.

When we originally designed the 50cc Ultimate in 2008 the engines back then were not as powerful as they are today and the wing design proved to be very strong. When engine power increased and the speed and torque of servos increased caused more stress on the airframe especially the wings.

We have modified our past and current productions to better handle the increased power and performance of today’s equipment. We increased the strength of the wing spars and wing joiner spar and have had great success with this improvement.

We work hard to make the best product possible and to design a product that will be available for many years. Our 50cc Ultimate has been in production for over 6 years and is still in high demand. We are always working on ways to improve and modify our product as the market demands change.

I hope this answers your concerns on the Ultimate and if you have any other concerns or questions don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you

Rocco

AeroWorks

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
Good to know, and while better strength in wing spars and joiner is an improvement, has anything been done to improve the glue joint between itself? When mine split, it was a very clean break indicating little glue holding the halves together. The metal brackets that screwed the top wing to the cabanes slid right out. That would be another good place to add glue for the structural integrity of the wing unit.

AeroWorks

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Yes, this has been addressed with our factory and is checked during each production.

Thank you

Rocco

AeroWorks

AeroWorks;12176 wrote: Yes, this has been addressed with our factory and is checked during each production.

Thank you

Rocco

AeroWorks

Hello Rocco, I purchased the airplane on, Order Date: 11/28/2011. Is this before or after this issue was addressed?

I have yet to assemble this plane, due to this issue.

AeroWorks

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Your plane was manufactured before the modification. You can strengthen the center section of the wing with fiberglass this has also proven to help.

What color is your Ultimate?

Rocco

AeroWorks

thesteam;14867 wrote: Hello Rocco, I purchased the airplane on, Order Date: 11/28/2011. Is this before or after this issue was addressed?

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
thesteam;14867 wrote: Hello Rocco, I purchased the airplane on, Order Date: 11/28/2011. Is this before or after this issue was addressed?

What equipment are you gonna run in her [MENTION=1079]thesteam[/MENTION]? I don't think rocco would have an issue replacing your plane if the wing fails, with his suggested equipment. You shouldn't have to cut into a new plane, that you paid top $$ for.