• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
That thing is beautiful, and when you do get to maiden it my fingers will be crossed that it all goes well for you!

I'm falling behind! @stangflyer maidend his Pitts the other day, and now you're just about ready to. I'm still a month or so out!!

I guess when we're all done and flying we'll all have to get started on building out next ones ;)
Agreed. I have a 35% Velox I will be doing for a friend in a few months. In the meantime, I hope to have the baffling on the 212 Yak finished up soon so I can do a remaiden on her next week. Wouldn't it be so sweet if we all lived close enough that we could take all three fresh builds out for a "build together, fly together" fun fly?

The odd thing is neither do I. :lol2: I'll measure it again tomorrow, but if I remember correctly it's around 88".
Well heck, 88" on 25 lbs. should be good. My guess if I were to make one: lift off smoother than the Pitts, first flight will be satin and silk. Your landing will no doubt be better than my first one on the Pitts. Just fly her to the ground, bleed the speed, chop the gas and she'll settle right in. I would bet every dollar in my wallet your scratch built design will handle like a finely tuned Mazarrati zipping through the mountainous curves. P.S., every dollar in my wallet ain't much these days. That behemoth yak has been draining me. Lol

Ditto here too on a successful maiden Doug. That thing looks so darn good it just has to fly great! :first_place:.

At 25lbs take off weight I don't think you will have a worry in the world other than your nerves:trance:.

Just watch your :on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go::on_the_go:when ya land:yesss:.
Indeed...watch that speeding bullet. Lol

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The first landing is always exciting since you don't really know what the airplane wants. I'm guessing because of the high wing loading it will want the long smooth low approach. Round cowl drag may require some power depending on the wind. Time will tell.

I was planning on taking it to the field today to display it at our Warbird and Classic event, but it's been canceled because the field is a swamp after the rain last night and yesterday. So, I think I'll test run it since the DA50 hasn't been run in more than 2 years.

I think later today I'm going to try and get the Hangar 9 Extra 300X that I won into the workshop. Since this project is winding down it's finally time to get going on that one.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The first landing is always exciting since you don't really know what the airplane wants. I'm guessing because of the high wing loading it will want the long smooth low approach. Round cowl drag may require some power depending on the wind. Time will tell.

I was planning on taking it to the field today to display it at our Warbird and Classic event, but it's been canceled because the field is a swamp after the rain last night and yesterday. So, I think I'll test run it since the DA50 hasn't been run in more than 2 years.

I think later today I'm going to try and get the Hangar 9 Extra 300X that I won into the workshop. Since this project is winding down it's finally time to get going on that one.
It's kind of interesting how round cowl planes perform as opposed to non roundies. My Extra's, Edge's and my Mustang's...heck all of them except my Sukhoi, Yak and the Pitts just seem really "slippery". I noticed though upon the maiden of my Sukhoi 2 years ago, (Which by the way is pretty close to the same weight as the 260), it just seemed to slow down a lot more than the others when the throttle was pulled back. The Behemoth Yak was the same way. Almost come to a dead stop on approach. I have to bump up the throttle a click or two in order to get the same approach and wheel touch down as the 260. The Pitts on the other hand is actually quite "zippy" while in flight. Much faster than I anticipated. Maybe the big "dub" twin swinging a big prop? Even the approach and landing was pretty quick. I think partly because it was quite nose heavy. I'm guessing that will definitely change once the balance is better. But still had to carry some speed on approach. I totally think your scratch build will come in with a little speed but will settle down quite nicely.

It will be good to see your Hangar 9 Extra on the build table.
:yesss:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I test ran it today. It took a lot of flips to get it to prime since it hadn't ran in over two years, but once it started and I richened the top end up a bit it ran beautifully. :)

I also ordered some new aileron extensions for it. I just didn't like the looks of the ones I had.

This afternoon I actually worked on the Hangar 9 Extra.:banana-dance:

BalsaDust

Yeah the big round cowl thing was new to me when I maidened my PAU Sukhoi. Couldn't believe how quick it slowed down. I have been told it won't be as bad if I where to install like the mock radial in it as not as much air can get into the cowl to slow it down.