• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50cc Scratch Build From My Own Design Revisited

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
This afternoon at work I had some time, so I made a weight for the nose. I had it on my buddies EZ Balancer last Saturday and stacked weight on the top of the cowl until it balanced. I weighed the stack of weight and built my new weight to match.

I took a piece of square tubing and melted lead into it. As much as it kills me to add weight it's WAY better than being tail heavy. At least it's clean looking and not a pile of welded together junk.

20170512_120656_resized.jpg
20170512_183130_resized.jpg
20170512_223648_resized.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
This afternoon at work I had some time, so I made a weight for the nose. I had it on my buddies EZ Balancer last Saturday and stacked weight on the top of the cowl until it balanced. I weighed the stack of weight and built my new weight to match.

I took a piece of square tubing and melted lead into it. As much as it kills me to add weight it's WAY better than being tail heavy. At least it's clean looking and not a pile of welded together junk.

View attachment 95724 View attachment 95725 View attachment 95726
I couldn't agree more. I remember buying a plane a number of years back and what to my wondering eyes did I see? Bolt upon bolt upon bolt, taped mind you...to the tail gear. I mean really?
shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif

Under the cowl is one thing but on the tail gear? Lately if I absolutely "must" add weight I try my best to conceal it. Recently the last few years I will stuff the required weight needed (Dubro or Hangar 9 tape a weight) inside the middle of my stab tube. Then pack both ends with dense foam. It works amazing. And if you ever want to add or remove for what ever reason, you don't have a huge headache on your hands. Under the hood on the other hand has been a challenge. Until now that is. Very cool design. I may use it if the need arises.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I couldn't agree more. I remember buying a plane a number of years back and what to my wondering eyes did I see? Bolt upon bolt upon bolt, taped mind you...to the tail gear. I mean really?
View attachment 95727
Under the cowl is one thing but on the tail gear? Lately if I absolutely "must" add weight I try my best to conceal it. Recently the last few years I will stuff the required weight needed (Dubro or Hangar 9 tape a weight) inside the middle of my stab tube. Then pack both ends with dense foam. It works amazing. And if you ever want to add or remove for what ever reason, you don't have a huge headache on your hands. Under the hood on the other hand has been a challenge. Until now that is. Very cool design. I may use it if the need arises.
I guess I could have used this one.:lol2:
a523628-223-OMG.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I had it back on the EZ Balancer last night. The balance is dead on now. I also had it on my digital scales. I may need to change its nickname to the flying anvil. The ready to fly less fuel weight is 24.14 pounds. :face-palm: Oh well, I was planning on flying it like a Warbird, it might as well weigh as much as one.;)

I was going to take it to the field today for our Warbirds and Classics event,but it was rained out. They moved it to tomorrow, so I'm planning on taking it. I'm not going to fly it, just display it. It's ready, but I won't maiden it at an event, they frown on that.

20170519_211635_resized.jpg
20170520_181558_resized.jpg
20170520_181605_resized.jpg
20170520_181619_resized.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Doug,

You can tell them the only thing that's new is the fuselage. That way they should let you fly it. . . . . . . :laughing:
Back in the Ducted Fan days my flying buddy Tony and I took a brand new never flown Bob Violet F16 to the Superman Jet Rally. On Tony's first flight as he was landing, Bob Fiorenze had just landed his brand new one of a kind F14. This was way before you could by an ARF F14 or even the Yellow Aircraft F14 kit. As a mater of fact Bobs design became the Yellow kit. Anyway he was taxiing back as Tony was landing and Bob says "I'm on the right, you've got the left". Tony made a nice landing and they never got close, but in my mind I could see this new F16 on it's maiden flight, harpooned into this beautiful one of a kind a F14. Thankfully it didn't happen, but it could have.:face-palm:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Back in the Ducted Fan days my flying buddy Tony and I took a brand new never flown Bob Violet F16 to the Superman Jet Rally. On Tony's first flight as he was landing, Bob Fiorenze had just landed his brand new one of a kind F14. This was way before you could by an ARF F14 or even the Yellow Aircraft F14 kit. As a mater of fact Bobs design became the Yellow kit. Anyway he was taxiing back as Tony was landing and Bob says "I'm on the right, you've got the left". Tony made a nice landing and they never got close, but in my mind I could see this new F16 on it's maiden flight, harpooned into this beautiful one of a kind a F14. Thankfully it didn't happen, but it could have.:face-palm:

Saw that F-14 one year at "Rally of the Eagles" at Holly Field in Florida. Had the PB Bunny on it. I distinctively remember that day because It was the first time I met Both "Bobs".