• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50% Dalotel 165

some of you may remember how much of advocate for electronic safety I have been through the years, and you may remember also I have designed Fiber Optic servo extension which I have posted here and a few other places, Now just to let you know I have been trying to use only one fiber optic cable , with one encoder and one decoder for all 16 channels, for many years now but have not succeeded until now that is, today spent about 4 hours again on this with a different approach, and success at last, directly from SBuss to all 16 channels with only one fiber optic extensions, Happy? hell yes

Its official guys, received my invitation for Top Gun, hope to make everyone here proud

Attachments

• Top Gun invite.jpg
    Top Gun invite.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 280

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
some of you may remember how much of advocate for electronic safety I have been through the years, and you may remember also I have designed Fiber Optic servo extension which I have posted here and a few other places, Now just to let you know I have been trying to use only one fiber optic cable , with one encoder and one decoder for all 16 channels, for many years now but have not succeeded until now that is, today spent about 4 hours again on this with a different approach, and success at last, directly from SBuss to all 16 channels with only one fiber optic extensions, Happy? hell yes
I have been intrigued from the moment we discussed this setup. I am still at a loss of how one fiber optic can carry the signal for 16 separate and individual channels. It does not compute in my feeble mind of how a throttle stick movement would not affect an aileron or elevator channel...per sey.

Its official guys, received my invitation for Top Gun, hope to make everyone here proud
I am very happy for you. When I spoke with Gerhard earlier this month, he mentioned that he really likes Top Gun a lot. He has kind of built a fire in me to visit. Maybe see you there with the Dalotel. Maybe.

I have been intrigued from the moment we discussed this setup. I am still at a loss of how one fiber optic can carry the signal for 16 separate and individual channels. It does not compute in my feeble mind of how a throttle stick movement would not affect an aileron or elevator channel...per sey.

I understand what your saying, so let me try to explain, the information from the transmitter all 16 channels goes to the receiver in packets of information the receiver takes these packets and distributes them to the proper channels because it is encoded, with this said, by using Sbus on the receiver that is for those receivers that are so equipped, all these packets of information goes out to this single output. So now I have to convert the Sbus signal to CPPM from the SBUS output of the receiver. Only then can I connect a single fiber optic encoder to it which takes all these electrical signals and converts them to light pulses. This light signal travels uninterrupted through the fiber cable down to the FO decoder and puts this signal back to electrical pulses. Now by attaching 4 individual Sbus decoders , with each able to decode 4 channels, you get the full 16 channels and you have full optical isolation , the receiver has its own battery, and the FO decoder, and all 4 Sbus decoders and all servos have there own battery/ies
And of course a lot cheaper lol

I am very happy for you. When I spoke with Gerhard earlier this month, he mentioned that he really likes Top Gun a lot. He has kind of built a fire in me to visit. Maybe see you there with the Dalotel. Maybe.

Last edited:
Here is the fiber optic installation in the 33% Edge I'm getting ready. the two yellow units are the two failsafe switches on only one toggle switch. The blue unit is the FO decoder and the green one is the encoder, you can barely see the Sbus decoders below , here i am using only two since this airplane only need 6 channels. you can see the yellow battery for FO decoder, SBuss decoders and servos not quite tidy yet but will be later. With this installation the receiver is totally opto isolated from the rest

Attachments

• agw.JPG
    agw.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 247

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So in other words the packets are much like the information packets on a computer and how they are transferred back and forth between programs and LAN based connections? All being sent out with identifiers so they can't go to the inappropriate channel? With each decoder having it's own power source, will this run into weight distribution issues? I know many people, (myself included) who try to keep weight down as much as possible. And power cells...(batteries) are the biggest issue in that department. I have to say, I do like the idea of totally isolating my servo channels from any possibility of interference or rf feedback.

So in other words the packets are much like the information packets on a computer and how they are transferred back and forth between programs and LAN based connections? All being sent out with identifiers so they can't go to the inappropriate channel? With each decoder having it's own power source, will this run into weight distribution issues? I know many people, (myself included) who try to keep weight down as much as possible. And power cells...(batteries) are the biggest issue in that department. I have to say, I do like the idea of totally isolating my servo channels from any possibility of interference or rf feedback.

There is no penalty with batteries, , if you normally use one battery as an exemple, then you would also use the same battery for everything except the receiver which only needs maybe a small 500 ma battery

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
There is no penalty with batteries, , if you normally use one battery as an exemple, then you would also use the same battery for everything except the receiver which only needs maybe a small 500 ma battery

Now I think I finally got my head around it. Really no difference except location of flight pack and sending signal down a single line. That was the strange part for me. Lol