• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50% Christen Eagle full scale exclusiv-kit

TLFMM

50cc
At 50 km/h or 31 MPH landing speed - isn't that really fast?
I'm not sure I could land it on our 450' runway!?
Will this bird have brakes :eek:)
Realistically, what do you feel is the minimum runway length need for the 50% Eagle?

The number of the 31 mph is looking high but if you see the size of the aircraft it Looks really slow !
The airfield I´m flyin the eagle has a length of 330 ft ( 100m ) You can see it on the
Video here in the thread a few pages before.

This Bird will be Brakes (hydraulic, scale size, with very light carbon discs ) But this is a upgrade for
scale-Freaks :)

Thomas

TLFMM

50cc
Almost 2:1 Now were talking! :fist_pump:

At 187 km/hr that would be 116 mph. Can that be correct?
Running the numbers assuming a 2-Blade prop, 36 x 14, your tip speed would be supersonic (320 m/s) at 6700 rpm, and only 89 mph, requiring 48 HP
At a more realistic 230 m/s would be 4800 RPM, 64 MPH, and only 18 hp.
Please Confirm.

Hello Matty,
we get the data from the telemetry sensors on board. The following Settings were on the aircraft:

We did some flight tests with a higher weight, to test the reactions in flight so we tested
a weight of: 62 lb´s
The Propeller we used is a 3-blade ( FIALA) 32x14
The v-max was measured after a dive at a low-pass over the runway.
The Speed is measured with a real pitot-pipe ( not gps ground Speed ) -> 183 km/h
the rpm was at this Point: 6260 rpm

telemetrie.jpg

The max horizontal Speed without a dive before is about 165 kmh with aprox 5400 rpm
-> see the part of the diagram 2.
telemetrie.jpg

Thomas

Attachments

• telemetrie_v-max.jpg
    telemetrie_v-max.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

TLFMM

50cc
The Valach 210 with Fiala 36X14 Prop, produces about 100lbs of static thrust.
We did some tests on ground and had static thrust of
66 lb´s with the 3-blade prop. The engine was not completed in the run-in procedure at that time.
The 2-blade 36x14 produces a static thrust of about 70-71 lb´s.kk
We did those tests only on the field with an electronic scale and apiece of rope to fix the aircraft.

Maybe some changes at the carburator air and some more running time we can increase
the thrust .

BUT: the concept of this eagle is to do aerobatics like you are sitting in the Cockpit - not 3D !
If you want that - put an 270 ccm 4-stroke 4 cylinder boxer from Kolm engines in. :)-) )

Thomas

N-O-V8-R

50cc
31 is pretty slow. Remember, this is not a 3D machine either. It is a scale plane, with scale surfaces.
I realize this is designed as a "Scale" plane, and nicely so, but at 12-15 G loading and a 2:1 thrust ratio, why is this any less a 3D plane as compared to the Ultimate Biplanes we fly?

N-O-V8-R

50cc
Thomas,

Can you give us the physical size of this plane, assembled, and dis-assembled.
Need to calculate trailer space needed.

Are the wings in Four pieces when dis-assembled?
Can you also include a picture with someone standing next to it for size comparison?
A picture of the plane in/on your trailer, and how secured, would be nice, too.

N-O-V8-R

50cc
Thomas,

Please describe the stall tendencies of this plane. Are they EVIL, or are they similar to the full size plane.

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
I realize this is designed as a "Scale" plane, and nicely so, but at 12-15 G loading and a 2:1 thrust ratio, why is this any less a 3D plane as compared to the Ultimate Biplanes we fly?

Because most of the Ultimates people fly in RC aren't scale. Also, the eagle in particular has "barn door" ailerons, similar to the S1, they are only towards the end of the wing... they are very speed dependent on their effectiveness.

Will it hover... sure. But it will not harrier roll, due to the small ailerons... it will also do real torque rolls, because of the ailerons being outboard, when you put it into a hover it will instantly start to turn... you can not stop it.

I know this, because I have flown the EMHW 50% Eagle several times.

Don't get me wrong, go for it... but don't expect it to be a 3D machine.

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Hello Matty,
we get the data from the telemetry sensors on board. The following Settings were on the aircraft:

We did some flight tests with a higher weight, to test the reactions in flight so we tested
a weight of: 62 lb´s
The Propeller we used is a 3-blade ( FIALA) 34x14
The v-max was measured after a dive at a low-pass over the runway.
The Speed is measured with a real pitot-pipe ( not gps ground Speed ) -> 183 km/h
the rpm was at this Point: 6260 rpm

View attachment 16098
The max horizontal Speed without a dive before is about 165 kmh with aprox 5400 rpm
-> see the part of the diagram 2.
View attachment 16098
Thomas

I'm surprised the Valach 210 would turn the Fiala 34X14 3 blade. Very cool.

TLFMM

50cc
Because most of the Ultimates people fly in RC aren't scale. Also, the eagle in particular has "barn door" ailerons, similar to the S1, they are only towards the end of the wing... they are very speed dependent on their effectiveness.

Will it hover... sure. But it will not harrier roll, due to the small ailerons... it will also do real torque rolls, because of the ailerons being outboard, when you put it into a hover it will instantly start to turn... you can not stop it.

I know this, because I have flown the EMHW 50% Eagle several times.

Don't get me wrong, go for it... but don't expect it to be a 3D machine.

Thanks Matty - thats exactly the Facts - The reason we would have this high g-tolerance is because we know
that a few guys are doing things with model-aircrafts we would not think about it and in the end if there is
a damage they´re talking about "construction failure and give the Project a bad Image...
The 50% Eagle is nearly flying the same way like the 100% Eagle ( ok the weight of the 100% EAGLE is working
al Little Differenz in autorotation-figures.

Thomas