• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

48" Extra 300 EXP

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Does anyone here own one of these? If you do what kind of setup are you running? Any recommendations or info you would like to share? :p

Does anyone here own one of these? If you do what kind of setup are you running? Any recommendations or info you would like to share? :p
I own a 48 EF Extra... the most awesome 48" plane ever. I'm using the torque 2814/820, falcon 12x6, airboss 45, glacier 4s 2200mah 30c, hitec hs-5085mg on the elevator, hitec 65mg on the rudder, and turnigy 2216mg on the ailerons. Hopefully this helps :bouncy:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Thanks man, and yes it all helps. :) Just wondering though, why so many different types of servo's? I understand the reason for having a different one on the rudder, just don't know why on the others. Sorry bud still pretty new to this stuff. BTW hows the power on that Torque motor with the Airboss ESC. Throttle pretty smooth and snappy when you need it. Power to weight ratio pretty good? I picked the Blue one this time around. Im thinking if my son keeps getting better and wants to stay in the hobby with me I'll get the red one for him later. We gonna have some dog fights with streamers.

Speaking of my son. He is 12 years old...just turned in December...and the boy can fly almost as well as me. If he continues on, it won't be long before he surpasses me. Makes me so jealous. LOL not really proud more than anything. Anyway thanks for sharing Charliewilson.

The reason for all the servos is I just used what I had laying around. I originally had the hitec 65mg on the rudder and elevator but I killed one of them and replaced it with the 5085mg and it makes a big difference. If I were to build another one right now I would put a 5085mg on the rudder and the elevator. As for the the turnigys they have nice resolution and no gittering, to my surprise they have held up extremely well. The power on the torque motor is very good and the airboss is super smooth, no complaints with the power system. You might want to start off on 3s as it still has plenty of vertical pull but keeps you from getting in trouble less quickly :)

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks man, and yes it all helps. :) Just wondering though, why so many different types of servo's? I understand the reason for having a different one on the rudder, just don't know why on the others. Sorry bud still pretty new to this stuff. BTW hows the power on that Torque motor with the Airboss ESC. Throttle pretty smooth and snappy when you need it. Power to weight ratio pretty good? I picked the Blue one this time around. Im thinking if my son keeps getting better and wants to stay in the hobby with me I'll get the red one for him later. We gonna have some dog fights with streamers.

Speaking of my son. He is 12 years old...just turned in December...and the boy can fly almost as well as me. If he continues on, it won't be long before he surpasses me. Makes me so jealous. LOL not really proud more than anything. Anyway thanks for sharing Charliewilson.

You're lucky he will fly with ya! Once my son discovered girls (at age 11) RC airplanes went bye bye! Whatever you're doing keep it up! Lol

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
[MENTION=3502]charliewilson[/MENTION] thanks man and I have no problem doing 3S to start out, in fact I have quite a few of them so that works out good. Some 2200's a 2700 and one 3000 all at 30c and 35c. Glad you mentioned the HS-5085MG's because I was thinking about running those all around.
[MENTION=2643]3DMIKE[/MENTION] You are absolutely right my friend. I have been lucky so far and I'll ride this bus for as long as I can. LOL

I would recommend running something lighter on the ailerons like the hs-65mg's or something comparable to save so weight. The hs-5085's on the ailerons would be way over kill in my opinion.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Wouldn't it be better to keep them all digital. So maybe run the HS-5065MG in place of the 65mg's plus the digi's are 11.91 grams vs 12.47 on the 65mg's. Torque is the same on each @ 6V. Speed on the 65mg is 0.11 sec @ 60 deg...5065MG is 0.11 doesn't say if it's at 60 deg or not...both at 6V. So when you say comparable those may work? Or does it matter if you mix digital with analog on a spektrum setup?

LOL isn't learning fun... :)

No it does not matter if you mix digital with analog and the hs-5065mg would be a little better choice then the hs-65mg. Some other options on the ailerons would include Savox SH-0257MG, Futaba S3156, and im sure align makes one also. A comparable servo has about the same case dimensions, equal or less weight, and equal or greater torque then the recommended servo. Hopefully this helps