• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 87" Extra 300 SHP

gyro

GSN Contributor
Since the other thread is currently MIA, we'll get another going.

3DPedia entry is: [WIKI]3DHS 87" Extra 300 SHP[/WIKI]
Check there for specs and recommended equipment.

So, lets start this up with what you have in your 87, and some pictures. I'll lead! I've got the Red One:
DSCF1915.jpgDSCF1773 small.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1366389250.275856.jpgDSCF1774 small.jpgDSCF1979.jpgDSCF1978.jpgDSCF1948.jpg
DSCF1944.jpgDSCF1943.jpg

I'll post some more photos of interesting stuff from the build later.
She's powered by a new DLE-55RA engine, with a 23x8 Xoar Sword prop... fed from a 20oz smartbottle 3-line tank from B&E. Two 2s 2600 LiPos provide the juice into a Spektrum Powerswafe 9110 DSMX reciever. She's got awesome Hitec HS-7955TG servos all around, runnning the unregulated 2s juice from the LiPos. Ignition power comes throught a Tech Aero IBEF.

My 87 has had a rough start to it's life. After the maiden by Joe Smith (thanks!) I did my first flight. Wow, what a hot rod! I immediately noticed how different she was from my other 50cc plane (89" Slick) in her manueverablility and agility. After I landed, I gave the sticks over to Ben Fisher for a quick flight after he helped with a few setup issues that I missed. Unfortunately, 3 minutes into his flight, the engine quit at about 6-7 feet high over the runway in a harrier. Ben's quick nose dump saved the plane, and she had a hard bounce on the grass runway with only a mild gear delamination! She now holds the record for Ben's highest drop without breaking wood. The next day, I threw her right back in the air without changing anything (wrong!) and she quit on me in harrier too. I was a little higher than Ben was, but not over the runway. I also dumped the nost and ditched her into some tall brush. Again, just a gear delamination, and a small crack in one SFG! Not even a tear in the covering... incredible.
So back to the tuning we go, and richen the low end a little bit. Running better now, I throw her up again for a few more flights. On the second post-tune flight... one of the wheels falls off! With nobody nearby to throw the sticks at, I have to land her myself for my first wheel off landing. Luckily Ben Fisher and John Jennings wander over to offer some calming words and advice.... I think they could see my knees shaking.
Luckily, I was able to put her down gently, keeping the missing wheel side off the ground until the end. No damage!

So, hopefully, I can continue to break this engine in, and get used to the high performance of this airplane without any further mishaps... I really want to get to know this plane better!

Manta

70cc twin V2
Awesome story! Sounds like you got the stink off. :)
I have acquired in a trade a blue 87 shp that I actually put together last year for a good friend. Never flown it. Think it shall be flown today,at SEFF. Joe told me I should fly it. I was thinking of selling it. So I will pull the rx out of one of my foamies and go play. :)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Awesome story! Sounds like you got the stink off. :)
I have acquired in a trade a blue 87 shp that I actually put together last year for a good friend. Never flown it. Think it shall be flown today,at SEFF. Joe told me I should fly it. I was thinking of selling it. So I will pull the rx out of one of my foamies and go play. :)

That's awesome Matt! This is one of those airplanes where I really like both of the schemes quite a bit. Post up some pictures of you and the airplane, and good luck on your first few flights with her today. I'm sure you will enjoy it, and the best part is you'll have some great friends there to share the experience with.

Manta

70cc twin V2
Ya Noll took pics of me with the community vyp yesterday. I really like the yellow black. I got vid of Joe flying it yest but my phone got full!! It didnt even save it. Danget!! I have not had that happen yet but had tons of pic and vid on it. Gave phone data enema last night so that wont happen again here :)

Manta

70cc twin V2
Joe did some wot KE passes on deck that were spectacular. I powered this one with as much go as my 71 slick is putting out. :)