• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 74" Edge.....

SteveT.

100cc
3DHS 74" Edge 540T Build Log

I stated a couple of times, that I hoped to write a manual for the 74" Edge, but it just hasn't come to fruition....what I have done though is to write a couple of articles that might help to build any ARF....and I took a lot of pics while building my Edge....so...over my next few posts, a little info, and pics...

I'll start with installing the hinges....View attachment Installing the hinges.doc

Check out all the parts....
DSC_0038.jpgDSC_0041.jpgDSC_0042.jpgDSC_0039.jpgDSC_0040.jpg

You should go over the model shrinking all the covering down....when you have trim that has small sharp ends, move from the widest end then past the point...not into the point... Also now is the time to cut out all of the openings in the covering...

DSC_0069.jpgDSC_0086.jpgDSC_0048.jpgDSC_0062.jpgDSC_0063.jpgDSC_0050.jpgDSC_0049.jpgDSC_0053.jpgDSC_0052.jpgDSC_0060.jpgDSC_0059.jpgDSC_0058.jpgDSC_0061.jpg

The Edge uses a two part motor mounting system. A short motor box that you mount a gas engine to, or if building an electric version, there is an extension motor box that must be added. Either way, you must drill holes to mount the motor or extension box. Here is how I did mine....

DSC_0043.jpgDSC_0047.jpgDSC_0044.jpg

And...as I am using a different motor than the one that is recommended, and I don't like firewalls that look like "swiss cheese", I replaced the extension firewall.

DSC_0057.jpgDSC_0054.jpgDSC_0064.jpg

Pretty self explanatory....

DSC_0068.jpgDSC_0072.jpgDSC_0071.jpgDSC_0073.jpg

Though most instructions tell you to install the stab early on in the build, I like to install it just before the landing gear, which for me is always the last thing to install.... I think it is a lot easier to work on the rest of the plane without the stab and gear sticking out.

View attachment Installing the stab.doc

DSC_0080.jpgDSC_0081.jpgDSC_0077.jpgDSC_0078.jpgDSC_0076.jpgDSC_0079.jpgDSC_0074.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MILLERA1

New to GSN!
Keep the info comming will be watching i would like to build a e verson of this one what is your motor esc servos and batterys going to be

SteveT.

100cc
Yup.... mine is electric also but I went with a somewhat different motor than most will (the Hacker A60-5S)l, and as noted in the photos, I changed the firewall in the motor box extension, as I don't like "Swiss cheese" firewalls. I went with this motor due to the fact that a lot of the 74" Edges have been coming out tail heavy. The motor itself is heavier, and I also went with 8S (2X 4S 45C 4400mAH Thunder Power packs). As it turned out, I still had to add 3 oz. of lead under the motor box to get the plane to balance at 150mm back from the leading edge of the wing, even with the batteries all the way to the firewall.

I have since maidened the plane, but as it was very windy that day, I only put a few minutes off flying time on it. It took one click of up elevator trim and one click of left aileron trim. When I rolled it inverted to check the CG, it had just a very slight drop to the nose, so, basically perfect CG (for me...YMMV).

SteveT

SnowDog

Do you have any problems with taxiing on the ground with the 74" Edge? I've got the 58" Edge and even with the LG canted forward a degree or two, it is still prone to nosing over on the ground, especially if there is any wind from behind while taxiing.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Do you have any problems with taxiing on the ground with the 74" Edge? I've got the 58" Edge and even with the LG canted forward a degree or two, it is still prone to nosing over on the ground, especially if there is any wind from behind while taxiing.

I've never had ANY problems taxing with mine. Both on the carpet runway in Vegas, and on the ashphalt runways I've used since. Now... haven't tried grass yet!

SteveT.

100cc
I have only one take-off and landing with mine (as noted, it was windy the day I maidened it), but it was perfect on asphalt....both were a breeze!!!

SteveT