• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

gyro

GSN Contributor
Ok... here we go!
All spread out and ready:
DSCF1056.jpg

The motor! Subsonicplanes Motrolfly DM4325-280 for 8s power!

DSCF1059.jpg

Castle Creations ICE 100 with a BEC Pro v2 BEC

DSCF1060.jpg

Solar D771 Digital Coreless Metal Gear Servos

DSCF1058.jpg

Nice servo connector insurance from Aztech Aeromodels!

DSCF1070.jpg

Control horns installed and drying!

DSCF1069.jpg

motor box installed, had to re-do the holes for the motrolfly:

DSCF1065.jpg

Motor test fitting with the included wood spacer:

DSCF1067.jpg

Looks just about perfect... maybe one washer and we're good!

DSCF1066.jpg

Really like all the lightening inside the fuse! There is not a bit of wood in there that doesn't need to be!
Also, look at the CF stringers (one on each site) from the firewall all the way to the tail! Lots of CF strengthening in there!

DSCF1074 with edits.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Setting up the tail using 15 minute epoxy, and vaseline in the joint:
DSCF1222.jpgDSCF1224.jpgDSCF1225.jpg

Was really happy with the amount of deflection I was able to get!

DSCF1226.jpgDSCF1227.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
gotta fast forward a bit, as I didn't take any more pictures during the build. She went together like every other 3dhs bird I've built, which is super easy:DSCF1228.jpgDSCF1264.jpgDSCF1262.jpgDSCF1265.jpgDSCF1263.jpgDSCF1261.jpg

robj

70cc twin V2
Ok I'll grab some space....:)

General pics of the stuff in the box. Parts baggies for various areas of the plane.
DSCN2412.jpg
DSCN2413.jpg
This one does come with an E-box, nice.
DSCN2414.jpg
My old 71 gear to go into this plane
DSCN2415.jpg
I always run into this...unless I'm doing something wrong..
DSCN2416.jpg
A few spacers centers up the wheels.
DSCN2417.jpg
The E-box going on..
DSCN2418.jpg
Instead of messing with the holes, I elongated them, with the large blind nuts and front spacers and plenty of plate thickness, they hold fine. The spacers are 3/8"
DSCN2419.jpg
For some reason the cowl wouldn't line up right, I flattened one side of the spacers.
DSCN2420.jpg
Still not perfect but..
DSCN2421.jpg
with the spinner, not a big deal. I'll go back and spend some more time on that.
DSCN2422.jpg
These things never go in right....so I ground them a little shorter. Can you notice the mistake?
DSCN2423.jpg

I thought I had a second pic of this. But when I cut these out I leave the covering a little long. When the servo goes in it will fold it in and have a nice rounded look. You could do it with an iron to I guess.
DSCN2424.jpg
Where I am so far. Basically the normal part of the build. Install the stab, elevator, rudder, etc,
DSCN2425.jpg
I went ahead and installed the blind nuts for the cowl this time. A little more time to get it right than screws but it looks nice.
DSCN2452.jpg
Interesting tail design. Usually(slick, extra, etc) you can adjust the rudder to touch the elevator. Not on this plane as the rudder sits further back.
DSCN2456.jpg
DSCN2457.jpg

Clean bottom... If you don't grind off the bottom of the cowl, your canopy won't go on!

Attachments

• DSCN2459.jpg
    DSCN2459.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCN2458.jpg
    DSCN2458.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 314

SnowDog

awesome pics guys, and really cool looking scheme!

If I ever have to replace my Vyper, this will be what I get!

gyro

GSN Contributor
ok, uploaded my final pics to the posts above, and will call this build "finished"
The final components list changed, due to the problem I had with the Castle ESC and some smoke:

ESC: ZTW 100A HV
Servos: Align DS-610M with aluminum horns

Overall, super impressed with how well this plane flies down low. Harriers were downright simple, and very stable with no wing rock.
I also had a little bit of trouble getting my canopy on, so I removed the gasser cowl ring, and sanded down on the inside a little bit. The fit is snug, but it works well.

Definitely another awesome plane!
DSCF1265.jpg

How are the Solar D771 servos holding up?

I've got a set of the mini servos (Solar D654) in a foamy and can't find a thing wrong with 'em. Only 150 something flights on 'em so far though, so time will tell.

gyro

GSN Contributor
How are the Solar D771 servos holding up?

I've got a set of the mini servos (Solar D654) in a foamy and can't find a thing wrong with 'em. Only 150 something flights on 'em so far though, so time will tell.

They're actually on NJSwedes 72" Extra right now... Long story but they're doing fine.

Ah, good to hear the 770's are working well. The Solar servos do appear to be of fairly good quality. I'm just always wondering about how well the motors will hold up in the less expensive servos. A friend's plane went in due to a servo failure, and I tore into it (Tower Pro MG16R) to see what failed. The motor brushes were worn completely off, and that happeded at flight 153 (3D and 6 ~ 7 minute flight duration). The plane is a PA Addiction-X, since repaired and back in the air.

I've been looking at getting a spare 3DHS 70" airframe, and presently considering either the 70" Velox or the 72" Extra 330SC. Has anyone flown both?