• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3d hobby shop planes epp question

wedoitall

hey was looking at getting an epp 3d to learn on. either a twisted hobbys or 3dhs plane. would the 3dhs plane be good to learn on? i really like their full fuselage design better than TH . both have great looking planes. i was recommended the TH but didnt know if the 3dhs would be good for a beginner. but like i said i really really like their fuselages better.

also another con for me is the price of the 3dhs recommend motors esc servos as compared to TH. kinda pricey compared to Twisted Hobbys. is there any recommended alternative motors , servos esc for their planes? something that will work just as good, or come close? oh btw was looking at their 40" epp edge

hey i owe you guys a big one for helping my noobular skills out on these recommendations. my buddys are waiting for me to be the guina pig. they are also gonna get a 3d plane. so i wanna make a really good decision/buy on this first one. (we are starting a rc flying club to help locals, especially kids something to do in our rural area)

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/40-EPP-Edge_p_16186.html

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
hey was looking at getting an epp 3d to learn on. either a twisted hobbys or 3dhs plane. would the 3dhs plane be good to learn on? i really like their full fuselage design better than TH . both have great looking planes. i was recommended the TH but didnt know if the 3dhs would be good for a beginner. but like i said i really really like their fuselages better.

also another con for me is the price of the 3dhs recommend motors esc servos as compared to TH. kinda pricey compared to Twisted Hobbys. is there any recommended alternative motors , servos esc for their planes? something that will work just as good, or come close? oh btw was looking at their 40" epp edge

hey i owe you guys a big one for helping my noobular skills out on these recommendations. my buddys are waiting for me to be the guina pig. they are also gonna get a 3d plane. so i wanna make a really good decision/buy on this first one. (we are starting a rc flying club to help locals, especially kids something to do in our rural area)

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/40-EPP-Edge_p_16186.html

I think you answered your question above! It sounds from what you're describing, the 3dhs plane is a little more expensive for you than the TH foamy. Also, I believe the general rule of thumb is that a profile foamy is better to "learn on" in terms of durability, as there are no balsa parts to break. Nearly every single repair can be made with welder glue or CA. They're both great products, and both great people to buy from... If I was you, I'd get what you can afford now, and then jump to a 41" or 48" sized Balsa Edge next!

Hope I helped a little.

-G

njswede

150cc
I think you're over-thinking it a bit. Get a simple, cheap plane to begin with. Buy something that accepts cheap 5g or 9g servos and a simple motor, and you'll be golden. You are GOING to break this plane. I repeat: It's going to break! So keep it cheap and keep it simple!

3DHS or TH? It's all about how much money you want to spend on something that's going to be pretty beat-up. Is the 3DHS better? Probably. But the planes in the TH line are also great trainers, so it comes down to how much you're comfortable spending. Quality-wise, you can't go wrong with either one.

wedoitall

so does the 40" epp edge from 3dhs has balsa structure somewhere?

just seemed to me that 3dhs recommended electronics are alil much for what it is(epp plane). but of course im a total noob, so idk.

njswede

150cc
so does the 40" epp edge from 3dhs has balsa structure somewhere?

just seemed to me that 3dhs recommended electronics are alil much for what it is(epp plane). but of course im a total noob, so idk.

It has some plywood internally to stiffen it up.

Yes, the electrics for this plane may be a bit hefty if you're on a budget. Why don't you just get the TH Extra Slick 32" and put your sight on either 40" EPP Edge or the 41" Balsa Edge from 3DHS as a second 3D plane? That's what I would do to be honest. Once you're bitten, 3DHS is going to get some of your cash anyway... :)

gyro

GSN Contributor
An EPP "full fuse" has a balsa substructure in the forward part of the fuse, and usually where the wings attach.

wedoitall

yea das what ill do. didnt realize that the 3dhs edge epp had some wood in it. saw pics of the other 2. was also looking at the th flash d and the rs 352 just didnt know if id outgrow those fast and if i could dumb down the rates and fly some regular aerobactic . looks like the slick i would be able to do that also.

gyro

GSN Contributor
both the rs-352 and flash are fun pattern planes on low rates. seriously, you're over thinking it! just buy whichever one fits your budget and looks the best

wedoitall

lol ok ok. my buddys call me R&D. im the geek in our crowd. usually study and study before i buy something. seriously they usually buy whatever i do, cause they know i do my homework. and they have been into flying and rc for many years longer than i have.

gyro

GSN Contributor
lol ok ok. my buddys call me R&D. im the geek in our crowd. usually study and study before i buy something. seriously they usually buy whatever i do, cause they know i do my homework. and they have been into flying and rc for many years longer than i have.

Well, I suppose it is safe to now say that you've done your homework. Extensively!
Good luck! Let us know what you get :)