• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 26% Pitts M12

Wacobipe

100cc
So I am game to help get this site rolling. I just finished building a 26% Pitts M12 from a Jtec short kit (Designed by Bob Truworthy). I am going through initial flight trimming now. Do you guys want me to give you a full build thread of the process? I have the entire build fully documented so I can go through it just like I am building it now. I could also just pick up from now and talk about flying it.

529=113-IMG_0837.jpg
529=113-IMG_0837.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi Waco,

As a former full scale Model 12 builder I'd love to see your project. Work/life intervened so I never finished my 12 but plan to try again one day, I still have the plans rolled up on the shelf.

For what it's worth, one goal that I have for the site is to get people building airplanes again. I'm not an accomplished flyer but I can build a mean airplane and that's most of the enjoyment for me. I love a good day at the field as much as the next guy but I just don't have very many of them to look back on!

Please post what you have, we'd love to see it.

Bart

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
we did a group build over at multirotorforums.com and it got a lot of people off the sofa and involved in building their first heli. maybe we can try that here with a simple 30cc or similar kit when traffic picks up a little bit.

BalsaDust

Bartman;559 wrote: we did a group build over at multirotorforums.com and it got a lot of people off the sofa and involved in building their first heli. maybe we can try that here with a simple 30cc or similar kit when traffic picks up a little bit.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Heck might even just start small and find plans for smaller electric bird to get everybody in the grove for building. I'm just about done drawing up my first set of plans for small electric bird based around a power combo I'm really loving on some of my other electrics.

Gotta be willing to build a Slab though. LOL

Wacobipe

100cc
So here it starts. I built this plane over the last year and documented the entire process. It maidened a few weeks ago now. I will follow the entire build process...with photos of critical points...but I'll post relatively quickly compared to how far I really made progress. I suspect it will take a couple months to go through the thread instead of the year it really took! I ned to get through this one as have a 1/4 or 1/3 scale Gee Bee that is about to hit the building table!

This plane was built from a Jtec short kit of the Bob Truworthy design. Here is what it looked like on arrival. The Extra in the photo is a 60" span aircraft...the cowl is 12 inches in Diameter!

1071=268-Box arrived.jpg
1071=268-Box arrived.jpg

1071=269-Open Box.jpg
1071=269-Open Box.jpg

1071=270-Parts next to Extra.jpg
1071=270-Parts next to Extra.jpg

1071=271-Parts spread on table.jpg
1071=271-Parts spread on table.jpg

Wacobipe

100cc
It is amazing how quickly the bones of this kit go together...after only a couple hours work (mostly me thinking and planning...not actually building) it looks like an airplane to me already. One of the keys to this are the jigs that come with the kit...There are jigs for the fuse and both wings cut from lite ply. The major components of each structure have tabs attached to them that fit neatly into the slots on the jigs...basically guaranteeing a straight build unless you really try to screw things up. This is one of the nicest features I have ever seen in a kit.

1073=272-Fuse Box built.jpg
1073=272-Fuse Box built.jpg

1073=273-Fuse Box with Cowl.jpg
1073=273-Fuse Box with Cowl.jpg

1073=274-Fuse with formers.jpg
1073=274-Fuse with formers.jpg

Wacobipe

100cc
jtec/radiowave;1141 wrote: Brett,

heard we had a little reverse expo!! LOL

Al

Yeah...I freely admitted my silly mistake...I'm just glad she survived my screw up until we figured it out!

Dr Evil

30cc
Wacobipe;1307 wrote: Yeah...I freely admitted my silly mistake...I'm just glad she survived my screw up until we figured it out!

I have never used EXPO but I'm still learning to fly . i did notice that it flys very smooth now .