• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

25% Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon

D-Man

30cc
Congrats on the Maiden 2Walla!

You're right on not flying this on less then a 50cc... the DLE55 pulls it around very well and CG'd perfect as I've set her up.

Sorry you've have had such a hard time with stock hardware & here's something else to watch closely..

I have 8 flights on mine and just starting to really wring her out (Tumbles, Snaps and harder downlines).

After Saturday's flight I noted one of the thin strut connectors broke. Have replaced all of them with nylon cut from large cable ties I had on hand.

Will try to get to Othello on the weekend of the 4th. Maybe do a tandem XD flight with you!!

Cheers,

D-Man

19892=12833-Struts.jpg
19892=12833-Struts.jpg

2walla

50cc
It would be fun to do some formation flying! I figured those tin tabs would give some trouble eventually. On my old nosen citabria and on a giant telemaster i did for my dad i used single sided nylon cable tie downs. The cable ties are a great idea and wont take a trip to the hardware store to find!

D-Man

30cc
Greetings everyone..
Consider this a PSA.

I found a wing bag that works well with the Hempel 25% XD.
As long as your able/willing to fold the wing struts by pulling the two bolts from the center supports on each wing... One of the 46" rectangular wing bag from Hobby Pack works great to hold/transport your wings and wing tube!!

Cheers,
D-Man
wing bag3.jpg wing bag2.jpg wing bag1.jpg

Last edited:
O

Ohio AV8TOR

Awesome and looking forward to seeing some flight videos and feedback on flying characteristics.  I have a few hours in a full size clipped wing when I took some aerobatic training and liked it over the J3 Cub that I started flying in.  I am wondering how a VVRC 40 Twin  will do with something like this?  Several are flying that in a Bigfoot.   

2walla

50cc
I have 10 or 11 flights on mine. My door blew apart due to lack of glue.  Thankfully i found all of the pieces.   My firewall compressed with the 5/8" diameter standoffs i was using and got loose.     I ended up adding some fender washers and thin ca  to stop the ply from compressing more.  It was pretty soft plywood. Arrgh.   Plane flies great. I cant emphasise how well it flies!! It is better than than my old ace swick taylorcraft. It is an outstanding flyer.   I do have a couple lines developing in the covering at the wing roots where the root rib is.   I hope it isn't a lack of glue there.  The door frame had a tiny tiny amount of glue.  I mean holy crap tiny.  Like put a drop on a tooth pick. Shake it vigorously and whatevers left rub on the intersection of the surfaces you want to glue.  there was NONE in the joints only a tiny fillet maybe 1/2" long on each piece.  The covering and the nice laser jigsaw cutting were all that was holding it together.  

BILL CALL THE FACTORY. TELL THEM TO USE SOME GLUE!! 

D-Man

30cc
Ohio AV8TOR said
Awesome and looking forward to seeing some flight videos and feedback on flying characteristics.  I have a few hours in a full size clipped wing when I took some aerobatic training and liked it over the J3 Cub that I started flying in.  I am wondering how a VVRC 40 Twin  will do with something like this?  Several are flying that in a Bigfoot.   
AV8TOR,

Yes the VV40 should fly this plane fine and close to scale. Although DLE55 makes it a monster!!
icon_smile.gif

Remember.. this is a 92" wing and over all XD is significantly larger than a 84" BigFoot.

Cheers,
D-Man

D-Man

30cc
2walla said
I have 10 or 11 flights on mine. My door blew apart due to lack of glue. Thankfully i found all of the pieces. My firewall compressed with the 5/8" diameter standoffs i was using and got loose. I ended up adding some fender washers and thin ca to stop the ply from compressing more. It was pretty soft plywood. Arrgh. Plane flies great. I cant emphasise how well it flies!! It is better than than my old ace swick taylorcraft. It is an outstanding flyer. I do have a couple lines developing in the covering at the wing roots where the root rib is. I hope it isn't a lack of glue there. The door frame had a tiny tiny amount of glue. I mean holy crap tiny. Like put a drop on a tooth pick. Shake it vigorously and whatevers left rub on the intersection of the surfaces you want to glue. there was NONE in the joints only a tiny fillet maybe 1/2" long on each piece. The covering and the nice laser jigsaw cutting were all that was holding it together.

BILL CALL THE FACTORY. TELL THEM TO USE SOME GLUE!!
Bummer 2Walla,

Agreed on the extra glue statement... refer back to post #8.

The door blew off on flight #2 putting a 4" rip in the bottom of the right wing.
Now I was pretty liberal in wicking CA in and around most of the fuse at build time... but some how the doors eluded me. Now both hatches have been significantly CA'd with extra Balsa/supports added.

But I agree.. this is one sweet flying plane. With the DLE55 she will do most everything any of my 50cc 3D planes do/have done.
Really enjoying her!

Cheers,
D-Man
photoww.JPG

Last edited: