• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

25% Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon

balsa

50cc
I really want one of these nobody has one here. Do you have to use the wing stuts? How do you think a gp60 will fit on this plane?

2walla

50cc
I am almost done with mine. Nice plane but has some shortcomings on the first run. My list is as follows! Struts didn't fit right, think i got two left or two right rear struts. None of the lengths were correct. Covering is just ok or worse to me compared to some of the other arfs. Glue is a little short all over, the skylight was missing the frame to hold the glass, firewall tri stock was glued in but warped and wasn't touching one side at all so wasn't doing anything. Holes in wing are undersized for standard servos. Well packaged and arrived unscathed. Bme 58 on mine. This weighs within an oz or two of a dle35 and has tons more power. Dont know it is strong enough to take much more power though. Nobody has an all up weight posted yet. If it is under 15 lbs will be great. I dont think this is that much different than the rc guys decathlon other than the pocket hinging, flaps, and the price. Should be fun with the flaps set up as ailerons.

D-Man

30cc
balsa;18047 wrote: I really want one of these nobody has one here. Do you have to use the wing stuts? How do you think a gp60 will fit on this plane?

Balsa,

I would not attempt to fly it without the struts or the tail flying wires... unless you are really into tempting fate. And a GP60 should fit... the DLE 55 seems to pull it around nicely.

2walla;18075 wrote: I am almost done with mine. Nice plane but has some shortcomings on the first run...

2Walla,

Guess I got lucky on the struts and motor box (mine has the SSN of 110) but I agree on the lack of glue.

Went over the motorbox and a good portion of the airframe with Med and Thin CA before the build... should have done the doors as well. And even though I took heat to the entire plane before the build, the covering wrinkles quickly in the sun... will be taking the iron to the field with me.

Even though I had a tough time my first day out I'm still optimistic... I'm sure this plane has a lot to teach me.

Good luck on your first flight!

Cheers,

D-Man

2walla

50cc
A buddy of mine who has won best film covering job at toledo a couple of times gave a thumbs down on the covering. Its ultracote like covering but maybe not 100% ultracote. Seems "softer" scratches easier and seems to have more shrink but also more give. Mine wrinkled again after shrinking just going to the basement to the back porch to finish it off. I don't think it was out on tight enough or hot enough to get a really nice looking/lasting shrink on it. I have built and covered quite a few planes myself and it is the only arf i have that i can say i would have done a better job myself on the covering. Its ok. But it just doesn't have the pop that most arfs have now days.

2walla

50cc
Just moving the tank around a bit to finish locating the throttle servo. All other rigging is done. Then tie in the batteries and receiver. Waiting on a couple new switches. But will fly it friday or saturday either way. I may go for a pitts muffler for the bme. The side dump is close to hitting the cowl.

18954=12600-image.jpg
18954=12600-image.jpg

D-Man

30cc
The Grey looks great 2Walla!

Here's my Update..

Using Greg Koontz full scale XD as inspiration and with the help of Nick (NachosCheese.net)..

Here are the latest updates to my Hempel XD.

Notice the support to GSN!!!

Thanks Nick, You Rock!!

Cheers,

D-Man

19135=12657-dscf2966.jpg
19135=12657-dscf2966.jpg
19135=12653-FullSizeRender (2).jpg
19135=12653-FullSizeRender (2).jpg
19135=12654-FullSizeRender[1].jpg
19135=12654-FullSizeRender[1].jpg
19135=12655-FullSizeRender[2].jpg
19135=12655-FullSizeRender[2].jpg
19135=12656-FullSizeRender[4].jpg
19135=12656-FullSizeRender[4].jpg

2walla

50cc
Thanks! Nice job on yours!

I worked late friday night to finish everything off and ended up moving the receiver and had to redo the wiring as i had made all the extensions to length. My windshield was severely deformed when I unwrapped it at about 11 on friday. Judicious application of the covering iron, a blower, and a hand wrapped in a bath towel got it straight enough to put on. Though i need a new one. The tape on the bubble wrap put just enough pressure on it to take a permanent set and a divot in the top. Arrrrgh. Being a bit cranky at this point i decided to mount the cowl with the side dump bme muffler. Dremel away and it is on with a cutout for clearance..

Saturday came with a 7-8 mph crosswind, charged it up. And away we go.The aileron hardware twisted on the bolts so with every roll it would get out of trim. I trashed the supplied hardware and replaced with some old nelson stuff. And tried again. Much nicer. Very nice roll rate stays where it is pointed. You have to pay attention to make nice no bounce landings. Flew it the rest of the weekend and passed it around the guys to try. Well liked by all. I wouldn't want less than 50cc on it. Flies better than a bigfoot in my opinion.

So all in all i would highly recommend. With the following things in mind:

The hardware in mine was crap. Get good usa #8 bolts for the control arms. The flying wire hardware is garbage 5 of 8 of the turnbuckles were defective. I ended up using the ball links,the titanium arms, the elevator pushrods, and the pull pull setup. The covering is just ok. I noticed that the covering appeared to be slightly different like it was from two different batches. It behaved differently and had different shrinking temperatures. I forgot the scale but will get a weight this week.

2walla

50cc
Pic of the final receiver location i settled on and of the finished plane! It does fly very nice!

19831=12781-image.jpg
19831=12781-image.jpg
19831=12782-image.jpg
19831=12782-image.jpg